Wasps nest! To treat or leave that is the question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Hi, I was up on a ladder the other day cleaning out my gutter and I noticed various wasps going in under a tile near my chimney, obviously I have wasps nest. I've been looking since and can see them flying in and out. I'm happy to leave it until they die off in the autumn as its nowhere near me and others are not at risk of being stung etc. However I've seen conflicting information re them returning or not? and also that the chewing/nest building can damage the eaves etc? does it?
I just dont see the point in getting it removed if theres not much of a problem. Does anyone know for definite if they return? can damage the roof? Thanks.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They don't return, so leave till winter and remove if you can get to it. I've only treated ones that are in the way and too close. Found the odd melon sized one in winter in the eves, never used since.

They are good pest controllers.

Are they definitely wasps or possibly masonary bees? Masonary bees tend to return to the same nest every year and keep themselves to themselves but they are a bit rubbish at keeping themselves alive and you’ll often find ones close to death on the floor near the nest.

Emanresu

If you don't feel brave then contact your local council. They usually provide a number of pet control solutions - rats / mice / wasps / flies etc - and they are usually not that expensive. Have sorted a wasp nest for me and some rats too. Penalty for being in the countryside.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Used to get them in the last house, and just ignored them. Squirrels...now they are a different matter and require all-out war!

iluvmybike

Über Member
We had a nest in our eaves which we could see from outside. Wasps then kept appearing all over the house - you had to rememebr to put slippers on or risk getting stung in the foot. When we went up in the loft there were wasps everywhere and we found a huge nest in the corner where they had got in. From there they seemed to be geting down through the cavity (despite having wall insulation!) and popping out. The nest was massive. We ended up spraying it with wasp killer and leaving it for a few days. My hubby was then able to get up there and destroy the nest and then go outside and block up the small hole they'd got in in the first place

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Wasps nested in my roof.
They were coming into the house via windows, vents in disused chimneys, and some pipe ducts. My young daughter had a sting and several near misses with the buggers stuck in her hair, so i had to do some exterminating.

OMG the noise when i went in the loft! Absolutely terrifying!

I had to eradicate a nest in an old tree stump a few years back. it was quite the project. started w/ a hanging wasp trap to reduce their numbers. then I went at it w/ a powdered insecticide. they used to swarm around our patio light & I had a situation one time that I didn't want to repeat

a cpl years later, this year, they have a burrow under a small tree near at our treeline & they aren't coming near the house, so I've left them be (no pun intended)

presta

Guru
I've had a nest in the ceiling of my coal place about 15 years ago, and I got rid of them with an aerosol from Tescos. No real problem except that I ignored the instructions about doing it at night so that they're all at home when you spray, and the survivors promptly built another nest in next doors shrubs a few yards away, so I had to do it again in the evening and that sorted it.

They're back again in the coal place ceiling now, so I might get another spray, or just pay the council £70 to do it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Wait for a cool night when they're inactive. Go up there with ant powder and sprinkle liberally around the entrance of the nest.
Less than 48 hours it'll all be over.
Sorted.

Top Bottom