Watch and learn, Stevens...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
this week oi av been mowstlee eatin buuurbon biskits
The last bourbon biscuits I ate were individually prepared by a chef who had one of those sets of biscuit stamps http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eddingtons-857003-Biscuit-Stamp-Bourbon/dp/B00MA6UFA2. They were absolutely amazing by biscuit standards (real ganache etc) but ultimately they were... y'know... biscuits. He made some custard cremes and jammy dodgers too, but he couldn't reproduce the true neon adhesiveness of real dodger jam.

subaqua

What’s the point
The last bourbon biscuits I ate were individually prepared by a chef who had one of those sets of biscuit stamps http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eddingtons-857003-Biscuit-Stamp-Bourbon/dp/B00MA6UFA2. They were absolutely amazing by biscuit standards (real ganache etc) but ultimately they were... y'know... biscuits. He made some custard cremes and jammy dodgers too, but he couldn't reproduce the true neon adhesiveness of real dodger jam.
I too have tried, closest I got was with what was supposed to be a sweet chilli sauce but ended up as a sweet chilli soft toffee. Surprisingly nice when washed down with a Rioja .

subaqua

What’s the point
written very very tongue in cheek. but here goes

Welsh saltmarsh Lamb- shoulder leftovers ( or for poor people diced lamb from a nasty supermarket)
DSC01321_zpssnjeuo0f.jpg

a big red onion

A bottle of Campo Viejo Rioja

mini sweet peppers 4 or 5

capers - Handful

organic garlic clove , slightkly out of date found in bottom of fridge.

mushrooms also from bottom of fridge and starting to turn

tin of chopped italian plum toms

half a tube of tom puree

leftover oil from sun dried tomatoes

cumin coriander, crushed chilli, mace, cayenne , paprika, fresh sea salt from a mermaids breast, freshly ground black pepper, some peppercorns (whole)

DSC01320_zpsjvdt5wjj.jpg

DSC01322_zpsvlbdxvnu.jpg

Method

open the rioja and pour a large glass

drink the glass of wine

slice onion into chunks without chopping your fingers off

heat the leftover oil in a thick bottomed pan ( a normal one will do if you is pooor) on a med heat

humiliate the onions till generally soft and brown
DSC01323_zpsyuchkniw.jpg

while this happens slice mushrooms , peppers and garlic
DSC01324_zpsbl7lpssg.jpg

once the onions is soft , dazzle the mushrooms n peppers into the pan and swizzle with the onions for 30 seconds

whack the tin toms in and the tom puree and fill the empty tin with warm water to rinse

chuck this in the pan and stir

pour another glass of wine and drink this

add the spices and pepper and salt ( brown sugar too if the toms are a little tarte)

throw the chopped up lamb in
DSC01325_zpsw5s9g8mo.jpg

remember the capers and put them in

stir all spices in and put lid on pan

turn heat down and let simmer for a while

pour remaining wine into glass and drink.

when its finished simmering I will show you the finished article

subaqua

What’s the point
well it tasted bloomin wonderful.

was served on a bed of bulgur wheat as wifey didnt check if we had cous cous when she suggested spicy lamb.

presentation 2/10 but its taste not looks that makes food I think .
DSC01327_zpsyajzkeyh.jpg

DSC01326_zpshiaknp9u.jpg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Still got half of the wild garlic left. Do I have it with the aged ribeye steak, or the pig's kidneys?

Decisions, decisions.
Since I know none of you will have slept a wink since last night agonising over the choice, the answer is (drum-roll please.....)

Neither!

I was late home, and since I hadn't got the steak out of the fridge this morning and the wild garlic looked lively still I decided to keep those for tomorrow and devil a kidney. A dash of cayenne, a splash of Worcester sauce, and the juice of half a lemon which needed eating up poured over the sizzling chopped kidney. Served on sourdough rye toast alongside a couple of lightly scrambled eggs. The kidneys dressed with Za'atar to bring out the lemony flavour, and the eggs with a sprinkling of Chalfont Chillies' Lavender and Herb salt.

Ace, but it didn't last long enough to be photographed (and I left my phone in the office).

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
:okay:
@srw is disqualified ^_^
Get a blender, and what are you toasting the pine nuts for? They have a delicate flavor, no need to toast, dries them up. Olive oil!
Sorry, Pat, you're wrong. You're quoting an original Italian recipe. I'm deconstructing it for the full middle-class effect. No middle-class cook worth their salt ever follows a recipe - they always tinker with it in several different ways.

Oh, and I'm afraid TC is wrong about the cheese, too. GP has a sweet nuttiness and depth of cheddar-like strength in maturity that you just don't get with Parmesan.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I once ate in a restaurant that included the menu description "served on a dialogue of purees".
I once read a thread that seemed to consist of a dialogue of purées....

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
No one is fooled by this kind of thing, you know.

I'm staying in Warrington tonight, one leaves ones middle-classness on the M6. Maybe I'm on the wrong side of the tracks but I went out to find a pub and although I found a couple I decided against frequenting them - I nearly tapped a chap, who was smoking a prison roll-up outside a grotty run down looking establishment, on the shoulder with my Telegraph so I could ask him if there was a decent place with craft beer or at least some bottled Belgian stuff but the angry look on his pit-bull's fizzog put me right off.

Top Bottom