Watch this space for bad overtakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
The next one is this: [media]http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums.../?action=view¤t=CX08XRA-Aimsforme.mp4[/media]

I dont know what he was thinking but I certainly didnt deserve to be that frightened.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The only problem with your videos is they don't look that bad... when you compare them to videos like this...
[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OopLMVh-OhA[/media]

The problem is you have no point of reference and the narrow lens angle means that by the time we see the vehicle in the footage it is already passed you. Both of those combined means the videos just don't compare to how they actually where.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
The problem is you have no point of reference and the narrow lens angle means that by the time we see the vehicle in the footage it is already passed you. Both of those combined means the videos just don't compare to how they actually where.

Unfortunately my camera is limited to what it is capable of. There arent a wide range of lenses out there for this camera and I am not willing to pay more for one when this camera does the job. I know the quality is poor but if it will aid in a court case, then there is no point in getting another one.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Unfortunately my camera is limited to what it is capable of. There arent a wide range of lenses out there for this camera and I am not willing to pay more for one when this camera does the job. I know the quality is poor but if it will aid in a court case, then there is no point in getting another one.

I'm not saying replace your camera, just pointing out that it doesn't look as bad as it was and most people will think that, the only people who will understand is those that have used cameras.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I'm not saying replace your camera, just pointing out that it doesn't look as bad as it was and most people will think that, the only people who will understand is those that have used cameras.

Well its pretty clear that I had to avoid him.

Anyway, when people pass me closely, it is easier to tell how close they are because they maintain their course past me. You can tell how close someone is to me by how much I shout.
I was genuinely scared by the driver above.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Blimey, Gaz is not having a dig at your videos rather then offering you some good advice at to how get the best out of your vids.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Blimey, Gaz is not having a dig at your videos rather then offering you some good advice at to how get the best out of your vids.

and some warning about what others might say :tongue:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Cameras with a narrow field of view sometimes distort the way things look in similar ways to the very wide angle lenses.. As Gaz says, bringing a point of reference into the frame will show distance to some degree.

I used an MD80 and put it in various positions on the bike. Between my legs on the seatpost/toptube gave an interesting perspectives. Fixing a mount on the side of the rack or bike will also give you new posibilities. Fixing a pole (I tried a fibreglass fishing pole that cost me 4 quid in The Range) on the rack with the camera pointing down on me and the bike from the back.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Well its pretty clear that I had to avoid him.

Anyway, when people pass me closely, it is easier to tell how close they are because they maintain their course past me. You can tell how close someone is to me by how much I shout.
I was genuinely scared by the driver above.

I have not said that the drivers in these videos are not dangerous or that they aren't too close.
You will be surprised how much people don't maintain their course as they pass you, look into getting a rear camera and you will see ;)

There's a salutary and scary bit to your videos, Matthew --- scares the **** out of me. Your age?

Those drivers have no way to judge whether they're dealing with a young lad, or a grizzled old crumbly like me. 17-year-old? Or a 50-year-cyclist, 40-year-driver-and-motorcyclist, who's driven and ridden deserts and jungle, swamp and roadless mountains here and there around the globe. *******s.

Thanks for posting them ---- and the prompt; I've just added a whole new level of vitriol to the complaints I write!

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
I think it would be better if you angled the camera down more, then the passing vehicles would come into shot earlier, and it would be easier to see how far they are from your own track. You really don't need that amount of sky in your videos, so about a third of the frame is wasted.

Top Bottom