Watching people work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Scaffolders. They just get on and do it with only a torpedo level and a socket wrench, and a few "rules of thumb" that they learned decades ago. I would be scratching my head for days agonising about it. They finish the job in ninety minutes.
Respect!

Edit: a good JCB operator is an absolute joy to behold.

subaqua

What’s the point
I love watching people wind transformer coils. Fortunately that makes up a good deal of my job.

i hate witnessing the soak tests ! that is a boring boring boring task

Reactions: TVC

subaqua

What’s the point
Scaffolders. They just get on and do it with only a torpedo level and a socket wrench, and a few "rules of thumb" that they learned decades ago. I would be scratching my head for days agonising about it. They finish the job in ninety minutes.
Respect!

Not anymore they don't . they have proper structural plans and stuff. its just that a lot of it is samey. like me wiring a house. the basics are the same so you don't need it written in front of you

Drago

Legendary Member
I like watching the cleaner at work. She's a nice Eastern European lady and seems a bit in awe of being in an office full of Gene Hunt types but she damn well works hard. I like to watch her, and I'm probably one of the few that appreciates her effort.

stephec

Legendary Member
Respect!

It's like many skilled manual jobs that, not technically difficult, but it looks simple with years of experience. Like we're fond of saying at work, 'you're not just paying for sweat, you're paying for what's up here.' :smile:

A year or two ago out toilet cistern cracked whilst I was at work. Mrs Stephec called one of these Speedy Plumbers type franchises, he disconnected the inlet and told her he could fit a new toilet if we bought our own. Labour was £180.00 + vat for a standard installation, extra if it was anything slightly out of the ordinary, so I told her to pay him his callout only.

When I fitted the new one the next day it didn't quite match the soil pipe because of a height difference, one quick trip round the corner to an old guy who has his own plumbing/DIY shop with a diagram sorted it.

Two and a half hours in total and £20.00 worth of bits was all it needed.

screenman

Legendary Member
It's like many skilled manual jobs that, not technically difficult, but it looks simple with years of experience. Like we're fond of saying at work, 'you're not just paying for sweat, you're paying for what's up here.' :smile:
A year or two ago out toilet cistern cracked whilst I was at work. Mrs Stephec called one of these Speedy Plumbers type franchises, he disconnected the inlet and told her he could fit a new toilet if we bought our own. Labour was £180.00 + vat for a standard installation, extra if it was anything slightly out of the ordinary, so I told her to pay him his callout only.

When I fitted the new one the next day it didn't quite match the soil pipe because of a height difference, one quick trip round the corner to an old guy who has his own plumbing/DIY shop with a diagram sorted it.

Two and a half hours in total and £20.00 worth of bits was all it needed.

I quoted £50 a while back to fix a dent in a gold A3 the customer said I was too expensive and he would do it himself, he made such a hash of it that it ended up in a body shop I do work for with a bill for £480+VAT This was on a lease return vehicle, for sure the job would have only taken 10 minutes of my time but it showed I was good value.

stephec

Legendary Member
I quoted £50 a while back to fix a dent in a gold A3 the customer said I was too expensive and he would do it himself, he made such a hash of it that it ended up in a body shop I do work for with a bill for £480+VAT This was on a lease return vehicle, for sure the job would have only taken 10 minutes of my time but it showed I was good value.
You'd have had my £50.00, I expect to pay about that per hour for a skilled job nowadays.

Top Bottom