Watching the Tour Of Britain Stage 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KurtAlden

Regular
Hello all

I've taken the day off to catch as much as the tour stage 3 as I can. I'm based in South Manchester and I'm trying to put together an itinerary to see how much of it I can catch but I've never spectated a tour event before so was wondering if there were any gotchas. My plan is...

Train (with bike) down to Holmes Chapel, there for 09:46
Cycle to Alsager (avoiding A50) to catch the first sprint at around 11:30
Cycle to Sandbach to catch the second sprint at around 12:30
Cycle (fast!) to to Alderley Edge to catch the first climb at around 13:30
Head over to Tatton Park to catch the finish

I think that looks pretty do-able, do you think that's all possible? I can't really find out when the main roads are open/closed so I'm just assuming they're closed but you can still cross them.

What do you reckon?

macp

Guru
I think its probably do able. I live nr Sandbach so Im probably going to watch the sprint then get over to Tatton to watch the finish.

OP
OP
K

KurtAlden

Regular
Yeah sounds good. Do you know if the road is open straight afterwards? I'm thinking that if I miss them at the first climb I can head east on the B5087 to see them in Macclesfield then back to Tatton.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Timings you have are the actual road book times. Don't forget, they can vary, and may vary between different parts of the race depending what's happening in the race and therefore how fast the race is going. Road closures will be rolling, but you'd want to get to a location in plenty of time to avoid the closure, find somewhere to stand etc. - key locations will be busy. It may take some time to leave a crowded location, and if the race is strung out it may take a while to pass which will affect your viewing.

Philh

Über Member
I live in Congleton so a 10 minute stroll at 8am to the start, then I want to drive to Tatton Park and get as close to the finish line as I can

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Brickworks then Tatton for me.

Me too. If you pass a chubby middle aged guy sweating like a pig on the way to Tatton give me a tow, ok?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Me too. If you pass a chubby middle aged guy sweating like a pig on the way to Tatton give me a tow, ok?
Not sure I will be passing anyone. Riding over with two guys who have been off their bikes for a year or two. They seem to think I will be able to tow them across to Tatton at warp 9 :headshake:. If you see a lanky lad on a black aero road bike with anodised red wheels say hi. :okay:

400bhp

Guru
There's so many people I have spoken to doing this (watching on one of the local climbs, then heading over to Tatton) that it could be really fun on the roads.

Riding from Leeds to Harrogate on the TdF 2014 start was brilliant.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Rolling road block was only for a few minutes before they arrived where we were today, and the road reopened as soon as the last ambulance went through

According to Ned Boulting on twitter, he and David Millar will be cycling from Congleton to Tatton after the stage start and are looking for "local guidance" (aka "attention")

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Not sure I will be passing anyone. Riding over with two guys who have been off their bikes for a year or two. They seem to think I will be able to tow them across to Tatton at warp 9 :headshake:. If you see a lanky lad on a black aero road bike with anodised red wheels say hi. :okay:

+3 SunsportVelo club kit top (banana yellow & grey).

Seeing as we're all being so nice and friendly I'll be on a matt black Btwin with Btwin Race Team (Ha!) shirt. I think I'll be watching on the ramp after the sharp right about 3/4 up but depends on the crowds

Top Bottom