Watching the UCI world championships Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
4 of us Leicester Ccers and up for the weekend to catch the world champs around Harrogate .We have accommodation booked near York the basic plan is ride over in the morning head out up the course find a viewing spot then head back to Harrogate to try and find a spot while the group complete the loops around the town . Looking for ideas around viewing spots any local knowledge welcome @Mike_P .
We also have an idea of training it York/Leeds to further out on the course but are concerned about the train companys bikes per train policy without anyone else there's already 4 of us , would they relax the policy over the weekend

winjim

Smash the cistern
4 of us Leicester Ccers and up for the weekend to catch the world champs around Harrogate .We have accommodation booked near York the basic plan is ride over in the morning head out up the course find a viewing spot then head back to Harrogate to try and find a spot while the group complete the loops around the town . Looking for ideas around viewing spots any local knowledge welcome @Mike_P .
We also have an idea of training it York/Leeds to further out on the course but are concerned about the train companys bikes per train policy without anyone else there's already 4 of us , would they relax the policy over the weekend
Relax?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm the first to moan about problems getting bikes onto trains, but TBF - it is predictable that thousands of cyclists would be trying to get their bikes onto a few trains, so it does make sense.

A missed opportunity to run "Cyclist Specials" though...

My cousin will be coming down from Scotland for the championships. We will have to work out where to drive to to allow us to watch the races out in the Dales, and in Harrogate.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I'm the first to moan about problems getting bikes onto trains, but TBF - it is predictable that thousands of cyclists would be trying to get their bikes onto a few trains, so it does make sense.

A missed opportunity to run "Cyclist Specials" though...

My cousin will be coming down from Scotland for the championships. We will have to work out where to drive to to allow us to watch the races out in the Dales, and in Harrogate.

What a great film ,some roads I've riden never seen them that quite . What happened to the train service in this country ?

Mike_P

Guru
Looking for ideas around viewing spots any local knowledge welcome @Mike_P .
Prime spots on the Circuit away from the finish line and its approaches are
1. the bend close to the top of the climb of Cornwall Road - it was packed for the TdY mens race, less so the womens. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.991...4!1sA-ikgwvLCQJnnFwU0vxeeg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
2. Outside the Royal Pump Room where the circuit can be seen twice - first as the riders do the sharp turn off the end of Valley Drive pass the front of Valley Gardens and up Cornwall Road, the second as they come off Swan Road sharp left into Crescent Road
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.993...4!1syyyw9nsZnU2kYnDKnPfyqQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
As for weekend I take you mean the 28th and 29th for the Womens and Mens road race
The climb out of Lofthouse is the big feature of the Womens race
https://www.google.com/maps/@54.163...0&yaw=280&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656
while nearer and somewhat limited in terms of visibility there is the climb out of Birstwith
https://www.google.com/maps/@54.027...4!1sfurp-J3_vWTgR3Pb3Foi-w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
The Mens race has its star attractions further away up the top of Wharfedale, Wensleydale and Swaldale and run to the circuit is straight along the A61 - it does get a bit lumpy through and south of Killinghall but hardly likely to trouble the pros unduly so that is probably one to leave to watch on the circuit.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Thanks @Mike_P , lots of ideas cheers

tom73

Guru
Bikes ban from all trains in Yorkshire at the same time it plays host to the world championship cycle race. You can't make it up great advert for the area.
Let's hope no-one gets stuck on an over crowded pacer or we really have had it.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Those spots look great, @Mike_P - especially Valley Gardens. It's a short walk from the train station, and the race route seems to go almost all the way around it so should be able to find a spot to view the racing without waiting all day! Plenty to keep our 2 year old entertained outside of the racing too. :smile:

Any tips for getting to and parking in Harrogate during the racing? We are staying in Menwith Hill and will drive or get a bus. I assume traffic and parking will be difficult in Harrogate, but there isn't much information about it on the Worlds website. Any tips?

tom73

Guru
Those spots look great, @Mike_P - especially Valley Gardens. It's a short walk from the train station, and the race route seems to go almost all the way around it so should be able to find a spot to view the racing without waiting all day! Plenty to keep our 2 year old entertained outside of the racing too. :smile:

Any tips for getting to and parking in Harrogate during the racing? We are staying in Menwith Hill and will drive or get a bus. I assume traffic and parking will be difficult in Harrogate, but there isn't much information about it on the Worlds website. Any tips?

Simple answer is don't even try to get near.

Use the official parking at the Yorkshire show ground. It's a short walk into Harrogate they are putting limited shuttle bus. Getting to the show ground and getting out is well planned operation they are more than use to dealing with the many 1000's who visited the GYS.

Looks like you need to book though.

https://worlds.yorkshire.com/spectator-guide/transport-travel/

Top Bottom