Watching the UCI world championships Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm intrigued, which worlds was that.
I too was intruiged. A bit of research suggests Cyclocross

4. The [Cyclo-cross] world championships have been held in Great Britain three times – London in 1973, Birmingham in 1983 and Leeds in 1992, when the home crowds were treated to a memorable British victory by Roger Hammond in the junior category. Hammond went on to win the British elite title eight times, land a podium place at Paris-Roubaix and become a successful directeur sportif.

Ref: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/s...out-the-UCI-Cyclo-cross-World-Championships-0

Edit. Pipped at the post by @ColinJ

GilesM

Legendary Member
I had an inkling, so I checked...

Yes - World Cyclocross Championships 1992, Roundhay Park, Leeds. Mens U23 champion - Roger Hammond, GB!

Pay attention, or you will miss it... (Hint: 5m 00s into 5m 01s length video!)

I thought it must have been cyclocross, but was thrown off track by the rainbow jersey comment, I forgot Mr H won the U23 event.

Thanks

I had an inkling, so I checked...
Yes - World Cyclocross Championships 1992, Roundhay Park, Leeds. Mens U23 champion - Roger Hammond, GB!
As others have stated, Hammond took the Junior title
I was there!
And, saw him immediately after the presentation
I was talking to the parents of another two members of the British Junior squad (my near namesake, & his brother), Roger came over, to see Nora & Phil, & thank them for letting him stay at their house
He let me take this picture (scanned from a print)
1990s. Cyclo-Cross. World Championship 1992. Roger Hammond 1.jpg

Hammmond. 21.jpg

And, I still have the magazine!!
1973479_10203302170027296_3472115048797758783_o.jpg

A few weeks later, at a CX, at Bingley
(I rode the Senior event)
Hammond. 5.jpg

Realised I had misread the route of the Womens Road Race and another good viewing point is the climb at Norwood Edge
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.952...4!1sRe5gv389KXtoRuqD4dLQGg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

A heck of a drag of a climb!!!

Mike_P

Guru
Would Menwith Hill work for viewing??
The mens junior on the Thursday and the mens U23 on the Friday go east along the A59 there and on the next day the Womens Elite goes north on the B6451. Both are relatively straight roads but nothing in the way of steep gradients to cause much in the way of race activity; eastbound the A59 does have a noticeable climb to and through the B6451 crossroads (unfortunately known as Dangerous Corner) but that is approached by an noticeable descent.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
That’s a no then :smile:

Mike_P

Guru
Officially suggested viewing points on the Circuit for cycling fans are shown in a youtube video

upload_2019-8-18_14-13-40.png

1. Possibly a matter of opinion but I would have thought the actual finish as I suggested earlier over the fan zone.
2. Otley Road - pretty straight, does climb constantly up to just beyond the 2km mark, then undulates before a final down grade to Beckwithshaw. Potential lengthy views possible and it could be interesting race wise depending on the wind direction
3. Um... The point they have positioned is almost at the bottom of Cornwall Road although it is at the top of a short steep climb in the race direction. The location I referenced earlier as being the bend at the top of Cornwall Road is that just to the right of the 8km mark.
4. Crescent Gardens. a wide grassed open area on the north side of the road; I suggested earlier by the Royal Pump Room which is to the left where the circuit almost converges on itself.

Mike_P

Guru
They kept it rather quite until this week that the "finish line" area is permanently closed from next Wednesday to the beginning of October, meaning the northbound A61 is closed for the duration without any simple diversion existing; the obvious car/small van route being stopped by Tower St/Belford Rd being "local access only" .

The info that was provided referenced the closures of West Park and Parliament Street and it appeared that the road was open at some times. There is lot of
local concern over the impact of the event not helped by some of the information . The recommended walking route from the railway station to the fan zone is along the southbound A61 so taking visitors away from the town centre where traders are fearing a sharp plummet in sales not helped by major reductions in local bus services with some parts of the town having no service on some days, although that is partly down to the main operator in the town unnecessarily diverting a service even when a key road is open

{EDIT - Deleted the PDF I attached as it needs updating}

Last edited:

Leodis

Veteran
i see West park church are offering a package for drink and food on an elevated grass area for only £360 for two people lol. They have upper the prices and now offer without the food drink which you can buy for £150.

Think I will watch the women on Norwood and head over to Beckwithshaw if we can get parked.

Top Bottom