Watching the UCI world championships Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Discovered this afternoon the walking route to entrance A is wrongly marked on the Fan zone map (see posting above). It actually (in reverse) continues straight along the diagonal to the rear of the VIP area to the race route and then alongside that to a controlled pedestrian crossing over the circuit by Bettys tearooms.
Spent the afternoon in a mixture of sun, showers and a touch of heavy rain just in front of the start ramp. It was a close tie between Tony Martin and Elia Viviani as to which individual cyclist got the biggest applause.
MixedTT 1-4.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh, a pizzaria, how I miss those days @Julia9054 .

Stuffing my face with delicious toppings of combination of cheese, tomatoes, garlic, herbs, chargrilled veg, etc. on a super crispy base.
Then spending a week in the wee room.

Nowadays sadly my eating habits are even more annoying than a vegan.

Gluten free and vegetarian.

I did sample very recently however a very potent and delicious gluten free ale from a Yorkshire brewery, I cant remember which.
So looking forward to tracking that beauty down.

See you all soon.

tom73

Guru
Just back form great day watching the TT riders. Not packed out but a good turn out all the same nice sunny day to boot.
Had a great time in the fan zone no-one then spotted saddleback just had to have a Yorkshire Jersey oh and matching socks ;).
A pair of gloves some how found its way to the till as well bang went the bike fund :shy:
Won a cow bell so not all on the credit card. :okay:

Mike_P

Guru
They are being very restrictive on cycling on the circuit, tried around 15 mins before the first rider started on the womens junior time trail to get from Jubliee Roundabout to the first bend before it around the 6km mark, which would have been plainly in sight of the marshalls, but had to wheel the bike through the undergrowth behind the barriers. Once the end of race vehicle had passed there was no restriction apparent this morning.

This afternoon the target was the top of Cornwall Road looking down through the 8km mark to the c180 degree bend at the foot of the climb and with a good half hour before but, whilst the first marshall never blinked as I cycled pass, the next ordered to me onto the footpath on the basis riders were training on the course. Needless to say no pros went pass before the first time trailist.

One rider obviously came off the downhill to the 180 degree bend too fast on his first circuit and parted company with his bike whilst he skidded across the safety boards that have been put up on the bridge but was back on his bike in a eye blink. Did not see it clearly, more a corner of eye instance but was quite spectacular from accounts by those who had been at the bend at the time.

A lot of people seemed to be checking out the course for vantage points either by cycling along the footpath or by foot and there was a double take by everyone as one of Polish riders not partaking in the time trail equally trundled round that part of course on the footpath.

Heard a comment that point outside the Royal Pump Room / Valley Gardens where the circuit almost kisses itself was a good viewing location but quite scary as the riders approach seemingly too fast off the decent of Valley Drive.

There was a comical feature with the broom wagon actually having a broom stuck to its rear. One the end of race vehicle had passed for at end of the second circuit every cyclist watching immediately jumped but again I was ordered onto the pavement because there were still fast moving vehicles on the course and for once that was a correct comment by a marshall as a UCI van hurtled round a corner not keeping wholly to the left.

Mike_P

Guru
Apparently they are using the non-circuit primarily rural section of Penny Pot Lane for training when they cannot access the circuit which would explain the Polish rider I saw yesterday and why a UCI van was parked on it last Saturday, and possibly why NYCC made significant improvements to its surfacing which was dismal before in parts although it did need something doing to it. At present today the tv looks the better option for the Mens U23 as its pelting down outside but its meant to be dryer at times this afternoon so think it will either be walkies to the finish line or cycling to the top of the bank out of Birstwith for the Ladies Elite depending on how soaking it is.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
@Mike_P Glad you spotted the broom too it was a bit of a did I just see that moment.
Royal Pump Room / Valley Gardens is a great spot but yes they do come at you so in the bigger racers maybe one to watch out for.

Turn's out Mrs 73 knows someone who raced in the para-cycling he said how incredible the day was. So if you did cheer them they appreciated it.
We sure know how to put on a show, yesterday reminded me so much of the grand depart.

Planning another visit already and think the flag is coming along too.
A shout to to the volunteers too great bunch had a few laughs with them yesterday.

A few pics from yesterday

Attachments

• IMG_3510.jpeg
    IMG_3510.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3567.jpeg
    IMG_3567.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3548.jpeg
    IMG_3548.jpeg
    310.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3545.jpeg
    IMG_3545.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3535.jpeg
    IMG_3535.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3534.jpg
    IMG_3534.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3514.JPG
    IMG_3514.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm pretty sure I've seen brooms attached to the voiture balai on the TdF. I just did an image search and it would appear that I may have dreamed it as all the modern pictures I can find don't have a physical broom stuck to them - but older pictures going back to the 1960s do.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Mike_P

Guru
Yesterdays Junior time trail victors on the climb on Oaker Bank that follows on from the decent of Pot Bank and on the climb of Cornwall Road from the near 180 degree bend
Aigul Gareeva 23919.jpg

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Reminded me boy the police riders are a miserable bunch. Even SO19 managed to have fun waving at the crowds yesterday.

Spotted Boardman and his wife in Bettys yesterday and Matt Stephens hanging out in the fan zone.
Anyone spotted anyone today ?

BurningLegs

Veteran
Looking forward to a drier day tomorrow. Hoping to get out for a ride in the morning and watch the TT in the afternoon from a roadside spot near Hackfall. Fingers crossed we can find a suitable spot to ditch the cars on the west side of the route then pitch up roadside with two buggies!

Top Bottom