Watching the UCI world championships Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Another annoying encounter with the marshalls - worked my way round to the junction south of Sawley where the route turns right to head along the route to Hebden Bank, those two irritating words hit my ear - No Cycling. So there I was wheeling the bike along when a couple cycled pass, one on an e-bike. So back on the bike for a short distance. Hedben Bank was the location where Dennis caught and overtook Roglic, and at which moment how I wished I had a zoom lens with me. Anyway here is a shot of them higher up the climb
Dennis & Roglic.jpg

It nearly defeated the Kenyan Khaled Alkhalaifah who suddenly started riding at right angles to the white lines. Bad news no broom on whatever vehicle was the broom wagon:sad: Although I have to confess to wheeling the bike up, might have given it a go despite some crazy momentarily gradients over 40% according to Strava but just as I rounded the bend at the foot I heard a car approaching and pulled over to a stop as a New Zealand team car whizzed pass - other riders were trying the route out for the Womens Elite race on Saturday, The Dutch team strolled up the climb as if it did not exist.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
The photo on page 100 of the official programme is obviously not "The exposed summit of Greenhow Hill" but the road from Laverton to Pateley Bridge crossing the River Skell, which is not being used by any of the UCI routes, and which is around as far north-east of Pateley Bridge as Greenhow summit is to the west-south-west.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Were on our way up tomorrow riding up from Leicester (3 of us ,1 train to Doncaster) . Plans are going to be weather dependent so nothing fixed in stone . Looking forward to it .Hoping the forecast is wrong

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Were on our way up tomorrow riding up from Leicester (3 of us ,1 train to Doncaster) . Plans are going to be weather dependent so nothing fixed in stone . Looking forward to it .Hoping the forecast is wrong

Hopefully you will have a better time than @Mike_P who doesn't seem a very happy UCI spectating camper.

Some of the best riding I know on that patch if you can do the climbs - should be a breeze for men such as yourself and @Supersuperleeds.

Do we know the third member of your party?

Mike_P

Guru
No marshall issues today, rather the lack of compliance with the published details as the A59 at Summerscales was not closed between midday and four. Seemed that westbound drivers were largely thinking it was initially as I managed to get up Cote du Blubberhouses without a HGV or three chugging away behind me. The end race vehicles were immediately followed by a very long queue of general traffic. The USA team set the pace, successfully as it transpired, up the climb. Weather dry apart duing the wait for the riders to turn up when there was a sharp spell of rain.
Summerscales.jpg

tom73

Guru
Arrived early so what to do ? Nothing for it but to Head over to the Zwift Draft House :smile: and some freebies thrown in.
Plenty of team riders out this morning round the course plenty of none team ones too. If you want no jobsworth go early.
The fan zone is quickly becoming a mud bath so be ready. But still worth a go and a good place to get out the rain for bit.
Had a nice chat with one of the race official as we waited for a shower to pass.
Watched another great day of racing and another good turn out even with the weather.
If you want some undercover bike parking the Specialized shop (close to fan zone) has set some up outside.

Attachments

• IMG_3589.jpeg
    IMG_3589.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3590.jpeg
    IMG_3590.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3595.jpeg
    IMG_3595.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3591.jpeg
    IMG_3591.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3622.jpeg
    IMG_3622.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3598.jpeg
    IMG_3598.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3572.jpeg
    IMG_3572.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Arrived early so what to do ? Nothing for it but to Head over to the Zwift Draft House :smile: and some freebies thrown in.
Plenty of team riders out this morning round the course plenty of none team ones too. If you want no jobsworth go early.
The fan zone is quickly becoming a mud bath so be ready. But still worth a go and a good place to get out the rain for bit.
Had a nice chat with one of the race official as we waited for a shower to pass.
Watched another great day of racing and another good turn out even with the weather.
If you want some undercover bike parking the Specialized shop (close to fan zone) has set some up outside.

Looks like Mapei is sponsoring cycling again, or perhaps they never went away.

My 'retro' Mapei cycling cap has been much admired.

https://www.prendas.co.uk/products/...MI7NuX0pvv5AIVEkTTCh0cPA2VEAQYASABEgKW4vD_BwE

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
They have a vehicle parked in a very isolated position on the open space to the north of the VIP area and not on any obvious walking route other than to visit it. Shimano also a sales stand parked at the top of Montpelier Hill which was doing some trade the last time I passed it whereas the Mapei seemed to be devoid of any visitors and looking at their web site https://www.mapei.com/gb/en/home-page not sure how cyclists would want to. They have an advert on the rear of the official programme.
Looking forward to it .Hoping the forecast is wrong
The local weather forecasts for Harrogate and the vale of York can often be wrong; on a typical westerly the rainclouds empty their contents on the Pennines and then float across often not releasing any more rain until they reach the North York Moors, hence for example cyclists getting soaked around Helmsley and then finding Thirsk totally dry. Could well be wet tomorrow however from the predicted light rain showers as a southerly is forecast until around 4pm.

Leodis

Veteran
Visited yesterday for the Junior women race. All was great, the only downside as a visitor is the huge distance between cross over points on the Strand to the Fan hub. Popped into Zwift draft house which was amazing also picked up some Castelli Yorkshire kit for next summer.

We were due to go back today with the wife but I think its going to be so busy there is little chance of seeing any racing apart from a screen, might pop elsewhere on the route to watch.

Top Bottom