Watching the UCI world championships Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Attached is the revision of the pdf I posted briefly before - details the road closures, and race times (other than for the para-cycling), for the sections of the routes between Tadcaster / Masham / Bolton Abbey and Harrogate other than for the womens and mens road races on the final weekend where the entire route is covered. Suggest saving it on your phone then all the info is one simple to find (presumably in downloads) document.

Attachments

• UCI CLOSURES v3.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Pleased to see the weather forecast is improving; yesterday thunderstorms were predicted for Sunday, now its a 30% chance of light rain showers for the afternoon. Monday is now largely dry but showers / rain predicted for Tuesday onwards. Looks like it could be a case of "You should have been here last week". If it is wet the time trials that start in Harrogate could have a tricky start as the start ramp has been sited in the Fan zone on the open space next to the town centre (the Stray) and a temporary surface laid to a right turn onto the highway

Julia9054

Guru
Finished work lunchtime so swung through town to look at everything.
Really excited.
The bloke i go chatting to that took this photo has come up from Kent for the week especially for the cycling and hasn't visited Harrogate for 40 years. I hope he has a lovely holiday.
One elderly red faced gentleman was shouting about how disgraceful it all was and attempting to hand out leaflets! Everyone was totally ignoring him. 3 young women in France jerseys - obviously competitors - were riding their bikes at walking pace along the pavement. He decided to start shouting at them to get on the road - despite the fact that it is completely fenced off!
20190920_122924.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Any event producers winners and losers among local businesses.

@Julia9054 played at this year's Durham Miners' Gala.

A lot of traders in Durham City tolerate the gala because all it means to them is a Saturday without their usual Saturday custom.

Some used to shut, and when the gala had stronger working class routes, the posh estate agents would board up their fronts to prevent drunken miners, impelled by a crushing sense of social injustice, putting a brick through their window.

A sportive passing through Barnard Castle in County Durham was stopped, partly through local kick back from traders, and farmers who couldn't possibly accept not being able to trunk around on their tractors for an hour or two once a year.

Hopefully, most of the Harrogate traders who might have been inclined to moan will not do so when they realise the cycling is not going to be an annual event.

Julia9054

Guru
@Julia9054 played at this year's Durham Miners' Gala
Actually I missed it this year for the first time in about 15 years for health reasons. Any trader that sells food or drink does very well out of the gala.
The same will happen in Harrogate. It is a town that relies heavily for it's income on the tourist industry which will be having a major boost.
Some people just love to moan.

Mike_P

Guru
And the town has more than its fair share not helped by a local rag that plays to their tune to the point of being completely contradictory, on one hand complaining about the state of some roads and then complaining about the roads being closed for resurfacing:crazy:

NB Discovered the para-cycling timings are under Championship Info rather Races

There were a couple of the grumbling traders on the Yorkshire edition of Look North tonight, one a home décor shop who were going to grin and bear it but were not going to start selling cycling gear. Obviously the possibility of extra footfall pass by visitors who might see something they like had not occurred to them:banghead: The other was a hairdressers who I immediately recognised as being one that complained as soon as the event was announced and who are going to close as staff might get in but not customers or customers might get in but not staff and would not be good for their reputation, as if closing all together is:banghead:

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Just seen that report any good business finds a way to make some money out of this. It's not like it's just turned up over night. Plenty of business our way found plenty of ways to cash in on the TDY and that was just one day. Even a fish munger found a way.

Mike_P

Guru
Had a walk round the fanzone this morning whilst teams where trailing the course notable personalities including Pogacar. The finish line is immediately before a side road (Victoria Avenue) and the pedestrian area is set back some distance down that . To the south there is a section of road coned off for riders to access the circuit but which further decreases visibility of the finish line due to the slight curvature of the road.
IMG_20190921_090712644.jpg
IMG_20190921_090934958.jpg

The start ramp is only slightly elevated as is the raised viewing area.
IMG_20190921_095107168.jpg
IMG_20190921_095110325.jpg

The fan zone was actually delayed in its opening for some reason. There are a pair of temporary footbridges next to each other across the circuit to access it; the northern one is the exit albeit it was unmarked as such this morning so a number of people including myself were ordered back. The first down step on the southern footbridge did not appear to very clearly evident as I fell onto it ; might have be the angle of the sun and shadows created.
There is a check in area - I thought they wanted to look in my rucksack, which had a few bits in it from Poundland, but they just wanted me to carry it.
IMG_20190921_091140604.jpg

Puchased the official guide (£5) its A5 in size and wondered around the UCI shop - me thinks wait for the post race sale. Most of the fanzone is uncovered grass so it may become quite muddy if the weather forecast is correct - clay soils dominate the area and rainfall ponds on grass - this part of The Stray being quite often flooded in part after heavy rain. Anyone visiting by bike might want consider how they protect their cleats.
IMG_20190921_094909213.jpg
IMG_20190921_095105611.jpg
IMG_20190921_094906153.jpg
IMG_20190921_094625744.jpg
IMG_20190921_094534744.jpg

Last edited:
Packing my bag today. Heading down to Harrogate after work tomorrow So excited.

Booked an apartment that would be near the finish line over a year ago not realizing that its sits right on the circuit course. How jammy was I?

Recommendations for hostelries please.

Mike_P

Guru
As its down to personal preference have a look at
https://www.strayfm.com/news/local-news/2673082/11-of-the-best-bars-in-harrogate/
and
https://www.baltzersens.co.uk/locals-guide-harrogate-pubs/

Posted in the Your Ride Today thread a comment that the bike parking area is unclear as to its entrance, or at least it was yesterday. The entrance is on the south-east side and signage of how to get to the Fanzone was limited but thankfully I had downloaded the Fanzone map onto my phone and used the south western entrance C as the barriers appeared to preclude easy access to the bridge at Entrance B and the roads bar that leading to finish area were open. The map indicates a pair of bike parking areas, only the north western one existed yesterday with the entrance roughly where the two round topped trees are on the grey area between the parking areas.
fanzone-spectatormaplarge.jpg

Last edited:

Julia9054

Guru
Packing my bag today. Heading down to Harrogate after work tomorrow So excited.

Booked an apartment that would be near the finish line over a year ago not realizing that its sits right on the circuit course. How jammy was I?

Major Tom's Social.
Craft beer and the best pizzas in town

Top Bottom