Water meter woes you’ll find shocking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
The water companies struggle to get the staff. Not many apprentices nowadays and general lack of interest in that type of work.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I think theres three parts to our bill.

Standing charge for Fresh water and then the amount we use.
Standing charge for Waste water. and then removing the amount of water we used.
Standing charge for removing rainwater.
The usage is the bigger part .

We get a rebate on the rainwater removal because our house guttering goes to a soakaway. We filled in a form and haven’t paid that element since.

potsy

Rambler
2 months into my having the meter fitted, DD was £55 on the old rates system...
Went to £29 last month and has just today been reduced again to under £20!
I am quite conservative in my usage, but do have a couple of baths per week on top of the usual showers.
Got to say it's working for me so far ^_^

Gillstay

Über Member
We get a rebate on the rainwater removal because our house guttering goes to a soakaway. We filled in a form and haven’t paid that element since.

We used to be with Southern water and found they had been charging us for run off from our propety despite us being downhill and the water running on to our garden. They relented and paid us back, but the old boy next door said they put it back on when a new person moves into the property and they have to go through the same thing every time.
Just plain dishonest, charging for something they know they have no right too.

presta

Guru
We shouldn't grumble. My daughter, when she was at Uni, brought a fellow student to stay with us for a weekend. Her home country was one of those hot countries, Saudi, Kuwait etc. When offered a drink of water, she just couldn't believe how you could get drinking water on tap.
Half the world is full of people like that: can't believe that we can just walk out of the door and jump into a car, can't believe that we can just walk into a supermarket and buy more food than we can eat, can't believe that we can flick a switch and have a the home heated....

presta

Guru
We should all be on water meters - pay for what you use. The old rateable value is out of date and needs to change.
The rateable value system is barking mad, imagine what it would be like if everyone paid for food the same way: an annual subscription to Tesco and then help yourself to as much as you want.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Half the world is full of people like that: can't believe that we can just walk out of the door and jump into a car, can't believe that we can just walk into a supermarket and buy more food than we can eat, can't believe that we can flick a switch and have a the home heated....

The one that gets to me is the fact we use perfectly good drinking water to flush the toilet.

It's good to reflect on how very lucky we are to live here and now.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I’ve gone to £38 from £78 since they changed the meter batteries. That’s more like it.

Top Bottom