Waterproof gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyboy

Is there such a thing as 100% waterproof gear. If so does it make you sweat , which then makes you just as wet inside anyway. I went out today in the wind and rain , had all my so called wet gear on , but as normal I was proper wet by the time I got home.

You have just reminded me of bad days of Heavy persistent rain
with no respite, and have to travel.
Is there such a thing as 100% waterproof gear NO!
I end up with just a small dry patch on my chest.
Cold wet with one ambition get dry and get to the pub for a well
earned pint.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Seriously? Does water not eventually get in around your neck? I would have thought that is the obvious weakness in water resistant cycling gear, as it must be difficult to get a waterproof seal between collar and neck.
Wear a hood. It is difficult but possible with pull strings around the face to get almost all water to drip off your chin and not run down your neck into your coat

mjr

Is there such a thing as 100% waterproof gear. If so does it make you sweat , which then makes you just as wet inside anyway. I went out today in the wind and rain , had all my so called wet gear on , but as normal I was proper wet by the time I got home.
Maybe not 100% without sweating but I think you can fend off torrential rain well enough for a couple of hours, but it's rare that you get exactly the right combination for the conditions.

mjr

Have tried that but it wasn't very practical when trying to do shoulder checks. You get throttled if the drawstrings are tight, and if they're not then you get a nice view of the inside lining of the hood! Maybe I need to try a different hood :okay:.
Yeah, sounds like that hood is too tightly attached to the neck for you. It should turn freely as you turn your head. It is difficult to find good ones at the moment because they seem unfashionable even with walkers :sad:

I wish I could find something like a seal skins balaclava but with a long and wide enough neck bottom to go over a jacket collar so the water runs outside not inside.

mangid

Guru

Gore BikeWear One gets my thumbs up. By far and away the best waterproof jacket I've ever had, don't get wet inside, and keeps the rain out. Waterproof shell mittens for the gloves, make sure jacket can go over the cuff of the shell, otherwise it just rolls down the sleeve to collect in the glove.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I work outside. I can confirm 100% there is no such thing. I have been wasting money on so called, good kit for 2 decades. That makes me 20 times more stupid than you @Flyboy :crazy:
I too can often spend all day out in the rain. I find decent waterproof jackets work well, but need replacing after a maximum of two years as eventually the seams start to leak. I've got a pair of Berghaus over trousers that have been leak free for about four years and Deri boots last forever, or at least till the soles wear out. Waterproof gloves don't exist, unless you want to work in marigolds.

But as said, the biggest problem is water getting in round the neck and I'm one of those who can't stand wearing a hood.

Dave7

Legendary Member
When I was nowt burra lad (1950s) we wore oilskin capes and oilskin sou'westers....................they kept ALL water out and you never got wet inside. Fashion wouldn't allow that now but they were really effective.
I tend not to cycle in the rain......cos I don't have to :smile:........but thought I would throw my two-pence in.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
On the motorbike I find a Polar Buff around the neck and a full face helmet keeps the water from around my neck.

The trick when cycling is to keep damp and warm and to keep the wind off you. I have found my Gore jacket to be good for this.

Top Bottom