Waterproof Panniers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
My birthday is fast approaching and people are nagging me for present ideas, so I wondered about replacing my now over-stuffed backpack with a rack and panniers.

With the autumn/winter season nearly upon us, I think I'll need some bags that are either completely waterproof, or as near as can be within a reasonable price range.

Any recommendations?

Oh, and any advice about type/style of rack would be welcomed too :blush:

Bigtallfatbloke

Ortlieb stuff seems to be the most popular waterproof stuff, but they cost a bloody fortune.

These are waterproof and I have seen some good offers around on them:

http://www.carradice.co.uk/carradry/

I have got carradice overlanders front and back and b/bag. They are not water proof but come with a waterproof liner. In addition I sprayed the outside with waterproof spray. On my recent tour I experienced some really heavy downpours and the stuff in my panniers stayed dry. I could have gone fro the carradry stuff which on offer was a similar price...but I liked the orange colour option of the overlanders...I'm vain like that!

I found the lady at Varradice to be very helpful especially in sorting out an issue with a blackburn low rider custom rack and fittings on the front bags

Peyote

I got a pair of Ortlieb Back Roller Classics, I think they cost £70 so not too bad for a pair. Been using them a couple of months now and they seem to be holding true to their reputation. I would definitely recommend them if you can find them on special offer/aren't on a tight budget.

As for the rack, it depends on the bike. I fitted mine to a Spesh Allez, so had to get a seatpost QR that had fittings to accept the rack, and then bodge the lower fittings on with a couple of p-clips.

domtyler

Über Member
My Ortlieb Panniers are used all year round and still look good as new. They never leak even in torrential rain. IMO, it is worth spending a little more to get stuff that works this well and lasts this long.

My Ortlieb front rollers(used on the back) are a couple of years old and would still wipe clean and look new. I do sometimes think they could do with a seperate pocket for smaller items, otherwise they have been excellent.

They also seem popular with every second bike sporting a pair!!

Bigtallfatbloke

They are heavier as well in some cases i think.

On ething I find useful with my overlanders is the option to keep dry stuff inside the liner and wet stuff (or stuff that could leak like a bottle of lube etc) outside the liner. You could argue that is possible on a waterproof bag as well if you add your own liner.

My overlanders have a very useful rear pocket (and side pockets & top straps) to keep stuff in. I find the rear pouch ideal for keeping my meths bottle in whilst still keeping it seperate from the pannier contents...also it is big enuff for a big bottle of bottle of evian water etc. There are also handy straps for rear lights and even a pump strap. The orange is a high vis colour which was important to me, but they do come in green as well. Th ebar bag however does not come with an inner liner so I made my own. Eash bag has a night vision reflector as well.

They are fine for heavy downpours, but if you are going to submerge them for any strange reason then they would probably leak....but when is that ever going to happen?

ash68

Sorry to be boring,nothing new to add, just another vote for the Ortlieb panniers.18 months on, still waterproof in all weathers.IMO better spending £70 on waterproof bags, than £40-£50 on water resistant bags.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I have these. And I swear by them. I stand next to them and say "bugger me! how come you don't let any water in?"

Abitrary

Fnaar said:
I have these. And I swear by them. I stand next to them and say "bugger me! how come you don't let any water in?"

I tried those once, but it gummed up one of those egyptian furless cats by mistake, and I almost got done for giving it the ride of its life

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Thanks for the replies.

My next question relates to the rack.

Does it attach to the seat-post clamp, or do they come with a clamp of their own? Or, do they attach somewhere else to the rear frame.

Also, any rack recommendations?

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
Have you got a Sirrus, Shaun? Sounds like an affliction but do I remember you saying you had one?

If you have I'll tell you what I did. If not I won't. :biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke

Just one point about Blackburn low rider custom front racks.

Beware the converging top tubs on the rack, these can lead to problems fixing bags to the rack I found. I had to get carradice to change the clips from the new type back to the old type so they would fit.

Top Bottom