Ways to deter motorists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It can be done with a bit of ingenuity, and gearing.

You might not get quite the torque as with an infernal combustion engine.

But tbh a lot of machinery..
Especially stuff like power harrows are over aggressive on the soil, and very bad for it.

So an overall reduction on power availability, would be no bad thing in many cases.

I use my tractor mounted rotovator. at something like one third of the recommended rpm, so as to avoid pulversing the soil so badly.

I get some looks* askance from the conventional lot, but it works for me.

* Teflon coated against charges of 'weirdness' at this stage in my game..
Fight the power. ✊

D

Deleted member 26715

OK, I've got an idea. Any farriers reading, could you shoe a shire horse with SPD cleats?
Yes it is feasible but getting their legs over the crossbar is problematic

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
OK, I've got an idea. Any farriers reading, could you shoe a shire horse with SPD cleats?

Shires are quite inefficient in terms of size to power out put ratio though

They're massive, so take a lot of feeding, you don't get a proportionate, return on work done.

They just look impressive pulling brewery dreys.. Kinda like a status truck..

Tbh you'd be better off with a pair of Percherons or somesuch..

Plus a spare.

A lot of the soley field (as opposed to tarmacked road) working hosses, are going barefoot these days.

Much cheaper, and nicer for their hooflets..

D

Deleted member 26715

I was out riding weekend before last & happened upon a ploughing match, it was spread out over multiple fields, appeared there are different classes couldn't work out if it was age or size of the tractors, then of course the horses, absolutely impressive, if I had of known about it beforehand I'd have gone to watch rather than going for a ride.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Shires are quite inefficient in terms of size to power out put ratio though

They're massive, so take a lot of feeding, you don't get a proportionate, return on work done.

They just look impressive pulling brewery dreys.. Kinda like a status truck..

Tbh you'd be better off with a pair of Percherons or somesuch..

Plus a spare.

A lot of the soley field (as opposed to tarmacked road) working hosses, are going barefoot these days.

Much cheaper, and nicer for their hooflets..
You may have gathered that I don't know a great deal about horses, although as it happens I am walking through a stables as I write this.

classic33

Leg End Member
I reckon price rise / scarcity would help a lot.
The roads were so much nicerer and quieter when we had those fuel shortages however many (eight?) years back.
People suddenly found ways to reduce the number of journeys, or combine them

- that was my experience, living in the country where there's not much public transport at all.

Increase the availability of public transport, lower the cost, and make it more bike friendly with carriers.

Electric cars for the Incapacitated, and small electric trucks for local deliveries.

Oh and I'll need a small tractor that runs on hydrogen fuel cells too, please, if our young inventor op has any time to spare..

I've already invented the Record player stylus, attached to the 'keep your distance' sticky out thingy.

You can have that one for free, in return for the hydrogen powered tractor and loader :okay:
You need the New Holland nh2 ™.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Burn the witch!
I know, I know. I just think that proper road pedals might give them problems.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You may have gathered that I don't know a great deal about horses, although as it happens I am walking through a stables as I write this.

Come to cycle chat for all your equine knowledge... :blush:

Soz about the hossy thread drift op :angel:

classic33

Leg End Member
It can be done with a bit of ingenuity, and gearing.

You might not get quite the torque as with an infernal combustion engine.

But tbh a lot of machinery..
Especially stuff like power harrows are over aggressive on the soil, and very bad for it.

So an overall reduction on power availability, would be no bad thing in many cases.

I use my tractor mounted rotovator. at something like one third of the recommended rpm, so as to avoid pulversing the soil so badly.

I get some looks* askance from the conventional lot, but it works for me.

* Teflon coated against charges of 'weirdness' at this stage in my game..
Summat along these lines, with many converted to work from a PTO?
467bfd97a8315efae2c8e5447caa827f.jpg

Top Bottom