We all moan about cagers, but many of us are as bad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Trundling on the hated Tesco run yesterday. Was in the 4 x 4, just bumbling through the village on my way out. Spot a road bike on the near side path. Attractive short-red-haired lady wearing the standard roadie top covered in the name of sponsors, none of whom sponsor her.

She gets to a drop kerb, stops and looks. "great" thinks I, "she'll see me in the 2 tonne Mom Truck and wait til I've passed."

Wrong. She sees me alright, and despite the sight of a 2000 kg wall of death rolling towards her she just rides off the path into the road, causing me to take drastic action to avoid turning her into a smudge on the Tarmac.

My point is thus. Most cyclists, including me, bitch about cagers. But how many of these close encounters could be avoided if we took a bit more care abd responsibility over our own road behaviour?

400bhp

Guru
I'm a road user. Don't label me with the actions of another individual using a similiar mode of transport as me.

There are crap road users.

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 1983570, member: 9609"]Worrying how 4x4ers see themselves[/quote]

there is a difference between a 4x4 er and a driver of a 4x4 just as there are crap drivers and good drivers.

betty swollocks

large member
I'm assuming you wanted to go down the side road she was crossing? Were you indicating? Are you sure?
If she had her wheel on the road before you got to the junction, she had right of way.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1983570, member: 9609"]Worrying how 4x4ers see themselves[/quote]
It's not may car, and I dislike it very much for it's pointless excess, hence me referring to it in such derogatory terms. However, my wife is blind in one eye and the extra seat height is very beneficial for her, so that's why she chose it.
Am I responsible for the actions of other cyclists?
No, I guess you're not. But then I never said you were.
there is a difference between a 4x4 er and a driver of a 4x4 just as there are crap drivers and good drivers.
Yes, indeed. But I rather think you're missing the point I raised in my initial post.
Some women think they are good looking enough to stop traffic... some of them are right sometimes..

What's a cager ? I've heard of a cougar ..
She was quite attractive ;) I understand cager is a commonly used vernacular amongst cyclists to describe car drivers. As someone who doesn't own a car, and as a cyclist myself, I was instantly alert the moment I saw the lady, but I was someone driving under sufferance, not because I like either driving or cars.

People, I'm not making particular accusations against anyone, so the defensive quips are really misguided. I simply raise the point that many of us, me included, often have a good bleat about car drivers on here, when we ourselves in many cases could be doing a lot to avoid these situations.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Yup - I'm always happy to learn more about safe riding.

I had a choice just now between a busy road with speed humps & width restrictions, used by large lorries, or a "shared-use" path which was about as "shared-use" as the Duchess of Cambridge, what with 3-abreast buggies, groups of kids lolling about and the like. I stayed on the road but felt like the average driver would have been moaning that I was not on the path instead.

400bhp

Guru
People, I'm not making particular accusations against anyone, so the defensive quips are really misguided. I simply raise the point that many of us, me included, often have a good bleat about car drivers on here, when we ourselves in many cases could be doing a lot to avoid these situations.

Wouldn't it have been better to be a little self deprecating and say you didn't explain yourself very clearly, rather than say it's everyone elses fault for misunderstanding you?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I never said it was anyone else's fault.

Any likelihood of sticking to the topic, or would you rather go off at a random tangent and descend to insults a d confrontation like some other threads on here? If its the latter then tell me now and I'll leave the combatants to get on with it.

400bhp

Guru
I never said it was anyone else's fault.

You said "so the defensive quips are really misguided." That's quite a put down to anyone who replied to your thread and misunderstood you.

[quote="Drago, post: 1983797, member: 22751]Any likelihood of sticking to the topic, or would you rather go off at a random tangent and descend to insults a d confrontation like some other threads on here? If its the latter then tell me now and I'll leave the combatants to get on with it.[/quote]

Perhaps delete the thread as perhaps none of us really understand your point.

Top Bottom