We all moan about cagers, but many of us are as bad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
she did not have right of way - no one has right of way on the road.
Alright pedant :smile: : from the Highway Code, c&p'd:-
'At a junction. When crossing the road, look out for traffic turning into the road, especially from behind you. If you have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, you have priority and they should give way' (see Rule 170).

Teuchter

Über Member
As for "cagers" it's a common term amongst m/cyclists
First came across the term among (motor)bikers during the 90s following a Volvo advert carrying the slogan "cages save lives". Volvos are traditionally universally feared by bikers though in my experience, flying over the bonnet of an Austin Maestro hurts just as much.

FWIW I'm a regular car driver, motorcyclist and cyclist (not necessarily in that order). I'm also a pedestrian sometimes and see random acts of stupidity perpetrated by all of these groups on a regular basis.

A guy on a roadie pulled out on me on a roundabout this morning for example. He did have the decency to say thanks after I braked and swerved out of his way and the courtesy to not overtake me, pretending I was much faster than him afterwards.

subaqua

What’s the point
As for "cagers" it's a common term amongst m/cyclists but I've not heard it used by cyclists before. I don't find it paticularly unpleasant, just descriptive of the attitude SOME drivers adopt.

thats it exactly the nobbers who think they own the road and don't think about other more vulnerable road users

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Alright pedant :smile: : from the Highway Code, c&p'd:-
'At a junction. When crossing the road, look out for traffic turning into the road, especially from behind you. If you have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, you have priority and they should give way' (see Rule 170).
So priority not right-of-way then?

I would have thought it was.
Right of way is a phrase commonly used and correctly so under Common Law as opposed to Statute Law pertaining to Right of Way across another's land.

Quote:
right of way 
noun, plural rights of way, right of ways.
1.a common law or statutory right granted to a vehicle, as an airplane or boat, to proceed ahead of another.
2.a path or route that may lawfully be used.
3.a right of passage, as over another's land.
4.the strip of land acquired for use by a railroad for tracks.
5.land covered by a public road.
End quote

...but referred to as taking "priority" in the highway code (Approved Code of Practice) which is not law but has quasi-legal status and is referred to when a prosecution is taking place under The Traffic Act

How's about that for pedantic!

betty swollocks

large member
Right of way is a phrase commonly used and correctly so under Common Law as opposed to Statute Law pertaining to Right of Way across another's land.

Quote:
right of way 
noun, plural rights of way, right of ways.
1.a common law or statutory right granted to a vehicle, as an airplane or boat, to proceed ahead of another.
2.a path or route that may lawfully be used.
3.a right of passage, as over another's land.
4.the strip of land acquired for use by a railroad for tracks.
5.land covered by a public road.
...but referred to as taking "priority" in the highway code (Approved Code of Practice) which is not law but has quasi-legal status and is referred to when a prosecution is taking place under The Traffic Act

How's about that for pedantic!

Thanks for that.
PK99: are you listening? :blush:

Top Bottom