We all moan about cagers, but many of us are as bad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The point is very simple. It's quite clear in the final paragraph of my original post. You are simply trying to be confrontational and obtuse.

Pauluk

I had a police cyclist pull out from a side road in front of me (me on the main road in a car, not a 4 X 4) the other day. Completely stupid thing to do but there you go. Moronic road behaviour is not just limited to car users.

400bhp

Guru
The point is very simple. It's quite clear in the final paragraph of my original post. You are simply trying to be confrontational and obtuse.

Really?

Judging by the likes to the first response in your thread, 8 people clearly had the same opinion as me, plus the other contributors to the thread.

Hence why I asked if you could perhaps be a bit more self deprecating in your "judgement" of those people who [dared?] to question your points raised.

Your last paragraph was:

My point is thus. 1
1. Most cyclists, including me, bitch about cagers.

2.But how many of these close encounters could be avoided if we took a bit more care abd responsibility over our own road behaviour?

1. I don't believe most cyclists bitch about [collective] "cagers".

2. None. I have no control over another random road users actions.

:smile:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
My point is thus. Most cyclists, including me, bitch about cagers. But how many of these close encounters could be avoided if we took a bit more care abd responsibility over our own road behaviour?

I would say that most cyclists are also car drivers and personally I don't like the term "cager". However I would agree that we all should take responsibility over our own behaviour irrespective of our given mode of transport.

subaqua

What’s the point
It's not may car, and I dislike it very much for it's pointless excess, hence me referring to it in such derogatory terms. However, my wife is blind in one eye and the extra seat height is very beneficial for her, so that's why she chose it.
No, I guess you're not. But then I never said you were.

Yes, indeed. But I rather think you're missing the point I raised in my initial post.

She was quite attractive ;) I understand cager is a commonly used vernacular amongst cyclists to describe car drivers. As someone who doesn't own a car, and as a cyclist myself, I was instantly alert the moment I saw the lady, but I was someone driving under sufferance, not because I like either driving or cars.

People, I'm not making particular accusations against anyone, so the defensive quips are really misguided. I simply raise the point that many of us, me included, often have a good bleat about car drivers on here, when we ourselves in many cases could be doing a lot to avoid these situations.

nope i haven't missed the points.

Crankarm

Guru
So if the cyclist you encountered in front of your vehicle had not been a pretty young red head you would have hit the accelerator as opposed to the brake pedal which you thankfully did but only to slow for a better look?

I think your use of the term "cager(s)" was to be deliberately provocative. I am a driver as well and like to think I am as cautious and considerate in my driving as I am when cycling. Your inital post paints you as a real Mr Toad. Your sweeping irrational generalisations are not helpful and tell a lot more about you rather than the groups of road users you attempt to demonise.

Reactions: gaz

lordloveaduck

I don't own a car and i don't have a licence. Never had the need for one.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am a cager and fully understand the OP. Muppet cyclist everywhere, jumping red lights, texting whilst cycling, drunk in charge of a cycle, you name it cyclist do it. If you have never made a mistake I would say that you are either not human or extremely boring.

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm assuming you wanted to go down the side road she was crossing? Were you indicating? Are you sure?
If she had her wheel on the road before you got to the junction, she had right of way.

she did not have right of way - no one has right of way on the road.

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
So if the cyclist you encountered in front of your vehicle had not been a pretty young red head you would have hit the accelerator as opposed to the brake pedal which you thankfully did but only to slow for a better look?

I think your use of the term "cager(s)" was to be deliberately provocative. I am a driver as well and like to think I am as cautious and considerate in my driving as I am when cycling. Your inital post paints you as a real Mr Toad. Your sweeping irrational generalisations are not helpful and tell a lot more about you rather than the groups of road users you attempt to demonise.
No bud, I use the term cager simply as a term very frequently used by keen cyclists and for no other reason. Again, please read the words and do not try and attribute meaning where there is none either given or implied.

She was an attractive lady, but it's only because I'm a cyclist myself and was keeping one eye on her that she didn't become an attractive corpse. She was obviously into her bikes, had a nice looking ride and all the kit so I'd have hoped for a little bit more thought from someone who is clearly into the sport enough to buy all the kit.

And no, I don't run ugly people over. That's a pretty ridiculous question to pose.

sidevalve

Über Member
Too many axes to grind here. Some car / truck drivers do stupid things and cause accidents, some cyclists do stupid things and cause accidents, that's the way it is, get over it. All you can do is try to make sure it isn't YOU being stupid. "OOH, look at me I own the road " is [pecentage wise] just as common in all road users. Can't see the point in getting upset because someone raises the point that, yes, sometimes cyclists do the wrong thing too.
As for "cagers" it's a common term amongst m/cyclists but I've not heard it used by cyclists before. I don't find it paticularly unpleasant, just descriptive of the attitude SOME drivers adopt.

Cyclist33

It's not may car, and I dislike it very much for it's pointless excess, hence me referring to it in such derogatory terms. However, my wife is blind in one eye and the extra seat height is very beneficial for her, so that's why she chose it.
No, I guess you're not. But then I never said you were.

Yes, indeed. But I rather think you're missing the point I raised in my initial post.

She was quite attractive ;) I understand cager is a commonly used vernacular amongst cyclists to describe car drivers. As someone who doesn't own a car, and as a cyclist myself, I was instantly alert the moment I saw the lady, but I was someone driving under sufferance, not because I like either driving or cars.

People, I'm not making particular accusations against anyone, so the defensive quips are really misguided. I simply raise the point that many of us, me included, often have a good bleat about car drivers on here, when we ourselves in many cases could be doing a lot to avoid these situations.

If I read you aright - why was she cycling on the pavement on the (her) right hand side of the road?

Stu

Top Bottom