We are regressing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm with the OP on this, there has to be standards!

My spoken English is pretty poor, while I have a good vocabulary and my grammar knowledge isn't terrible I tend to be a bit lazy and drop some letters and pronounce things badly. Definitely not the Queen's English.

Written word however is a different kettle o' fish. Once something is committed to paper or print in my mind it becomes almost official and formalised, so the rules must be followed and obeyed unless something is being emphasised for effect. I am happy to break the rules for comedic effect but this is not acceptable for communication with a stranger or customer. Hell, I even struggle dropping the standards when emailing my colleagues at work, and we are shift working maintenance engineers.....

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

My spoken English is pretty poor, while I have a good vocabulary and my grammar knowledge isn't terrible I tend to be a bit lazy and drop some letters and pronounce things badly. Definitely not the Queen's English.

Written word however is a different kettle o' fish. Once something is committed to paper or print in my mind it becomes almost official and formalised, so the rules must be followed and obeyed unless something is being emphasised for effect. I am happy to break the rules for comedic effect but this is not acceptable for communication with a stranger or customer. Hell, I even struggle dropping the standards when emailing my colleagues at work, and we are shift working maintenance engineers.....
*have*

I've just ordered a case of wine for Christmas and received this in an email to tell me it had been delivered.

Seriously what adult writes to another adult (and a paying customer) with 'Woohoo'? Who with an ounce of self-respect and professional pride refers to himself as a 'Wine Guy'?

When did we, as a nation, regress to the sophistication levels of a 13-year-old American boy? Just be a professional wine merchant, sell me some wine, and don't try to be my annoying teenage mate.

Thank you.

View attachment 561160
Honestly, your post has me proper pissing myself😂 Thank you. After a crap morning of bike parts not turning up, the sun coming out and no bike to ride, this has cheered me up

Been from Yorkshire my international colleagues regularly tell me my spoken English is piss poor along with grammar. Utter hoss piss. My emails ain’t much Kop either

Dunt tha mean thi coit?
And put wood in t’hole

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
OK, I expected a bit of a kicking for this post, but I got it off my chest. To be clear - I'm not criticising anyone's use of language. Talk how you like, use slang or txtspk, rising intonation, Estuary English, whatever, I'm, er, 'down with it, youngsters'. Some great responses, though, so thanks. Made me laugh.

What I am complaining about is faux corporate chumminess. It doesn't make me feel welcomed and involved, just patronised and alienated - and determined next time to use a business that behaves like a business, not a clown school.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Totally agree with you on the "faux corporate chumminess" - I don't mind so much people using my first name if they ask me first, but I draw the line at "mate" and "buddy". Even worse is "guys" when out with a group of people.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Totally agree with you on the "faux corporate chumminess" - I don't mind so much people using my first name if they ask me first, but I draw the line at "mate" and "buddy". Even worse is "guys" when out with a group of people.

I don't mind 'mate' and 'buddy' from strangers too much, although it wouldn't feel right in a business context. 'Guys', I agree with totally. I used to work* in a tourism business, and one of the young women whose job it was to welcome new guests would always greet them with "Hi, guys!!!", even quiet elderly couples. It used to make me cringe every time.

*Still do, from time to time, but I mustn't mention it.

OK, I expected a bit of a kicking for this post, but I got it off my chest. To be clear - I'm not criticising anyone's use of language. Talk how you like, use slang or txtspk, rising intonation, Estuary English, whatever, I'm, er, 'down with it, youngsters'. Some great responses, though, so thanks. Made me laugh.

What I am complaining about is faux corporate chumminess. It doesn't make me feel welcomed and involved, just patronised and alienated - and determined next time to use a business that behaves like a business, not a clown school.
Perhaps Sir should join the Wine Society.

To be properly posh, they are actually “The International Exhibition Co-operative Wine Society Limited”.

I believe Sir will find their approach more formal and appropriate.

The wines are good too

Top Bottom