Weather

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flyingfish

We went & did 20 miles in welwyn & Hatfield this morning. Wind was strong but we hit horizontal rain for a while. At least it was mild. Horrible thing was I realised I was enjoying it!!
I need help!
Pete

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just got a message to say a house in the village has lost a roof. All we can do is sit in and hope.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I had very good advice on 25 January 1990: don't go out. I didn't. A colleague of mine did, and never came back. Wind kills. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/interesting/jan1990
:sad:.
I don't remember that particular storm, but what I do remember is that we used to get one, maybe two big storms per winter.
Now it seems that December/January is an unrelenting conveyor belt of storms hitting us. This weather is quite simply outwith the parameters of what I consider to be safe for cycling. I am even avoiding doing shifts driving, and that is in articulated lorries (they are fine if heavily laden; if not - give them an even wider berth than normal).
The next few days don't make for good reading, and then there is another storm coming on Thursday. Wonderful.

upload_2015-1-10_21-14-47.png

OP
OP
Mummy3monkeys

Mummy3monkeys

Well, by the time the wind had died down a bit, shopping done etc, daylight had gone, and so had my desire to go out. Think it's going to be a bit calmer tomorrow (well I hope) as I'm planning on bringing my new bike home if all goes well and I definitely want to go out.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Was quite happy to apply Rule 5 when I lived in Bonny Scotland. Didn't care too much for pootling in driving rain and freezing cold so I would reserve the worst days for the turbo trainer. Since moving to Texas I have become a cold and rain fearing wuss! This weekend was 1C and damp......need to MTFU. The heat however.......love it. Quite happily ride for hours in 30C+

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Was quite happy to apply Rule 5 when I lived in Bonny Scotland. Didn't care too much for pootling in driving rain and freezing cold so I would reserve the worst days for the turbo trainer. Since moving to Texas I have become a cold and rain fearing wuss! This weekend was 1C and damp......need to MTFU. The heat however.......love it. Quite happily ride for hours in 30C+
I don't mind +C, but 6 inches snow and -C to a great extent have dampened my interest in outdoor cycling. Next weekend looks like an opportunity. Perhaps winter will let up early this year.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Ah well, it has died down a bit, thought I'd give it a go, no, did a quick circuit round town then home, way too scary for my liking!!
I do commute in bad weather, got other choices but riding is quicker by far.
However, I don't go out for leisure rides in bad weather.
The commute is very short, 5 miles, just short enough to "man up" if required.
You shouldn't have to man up for what is supposed to be enjoyment, tell hubby to get "on his bike" :laugh:

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I got out as far as the garden to give the bike a good clean. That was cold and windy enough!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Two different pals have invited me to go out riding today so there's a little peer pressure but I have no enthusiasm despite feeling desperate for some exercise.

I was thinking that an indoors race and training circuit with hills and plenty of bends, built inside a disused factory, would pobably do well if it had a good catchment area.

screenman

Legendary Member
Two different pals have invited me to go out riding today so there's a little peer pressure but I have no enthusiasm despite feeling desperate for some exercise.

I was thinking that an indoors race and training circuit with hills and plenty of bends, built inside a disused factory, would pobably do well if it had a good catchment area.

I think that would be called BMX.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Much bigger; more along the lines of road racing circuits like Eastway. You'd need a big old factory like a car plant.

screenman

Legendary Member
When I am over this rubbish virus I will check out Steve Abraham, if it is good enough for him to get couple of hundred in then it is good enough for me to get a 50 in. I will use the guy as a kick up the butt when needed.

Top Bottom