Weather

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Two different pals have invited me to go out riding today so there's a little peer pressure but I have no enthusiasm despite feeling desperate for some exercise.

I was thinking that an indoors race and training circuit with hills and plenty of bends, built inside a disused factory, would pobably do well if it had a good catchment area.
Seems like your describing a velodrome.

Booyaa

Veteran
Much bigger; more along the lines of road racing circuits like Eastway. You'd need a big old factory like a car plant.
Plenty of places around the Birmingham area that could accommodate something like that. I guess the cost would be massive to build it though. If I have a big win on the Euromillions I will look into it in more detail.

Met office said it would stop raining by midday yesterday in south west London, pottered around for a bit after that, and finally headed off about 2pm. Battled a headwind for a long way, but decided never the less to strike out to follow the RideLondon "west loop" gpx I have on my phone. Wind died down an it was a beautiful evening, though quite dark by the time I got to Leith Hill. Later on I decided to cut a corner and head home, pausing briefly at the base of Box Hill before deciding I'd done enough for the day, and kept going towards home.

If Steve Abraham wasn't out there making us all feel small, I'd be very proud of 108km in such blustery weather.

:smile:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I am quite happy to be a fair weather cyclist. You only live once and I intend to make it last a long time so no need to take unnecessary risks.:whistle:
I guess it depends on how you describe 'fair weather' ;) ... If it's sun, blue sky, warm, no wind, no risk of rain, we wouldn't get too many cycling days in this country, decreasing as you head north. :whistle:
My safe-ish limit for a cross-wind is gusts of ~35 mph as per the MetOffice website, haven't calibrated myself against the BBC wind predictions which don't show max gusts. Being picked up by the wind at a gap in a hedge is not fun. :ohmy:
For icy conditions, there are ice tyres :dance:and for rain there are waterproofs, but strong winds are definitely the scariest for me, too :surrender:.

T

mattobrien

Guru
It was a barmy 14 degrees when I went out Friday night, but windy.

Yesterday was equally windy, but colder.

Today was windy and three degrees. Cold.

Never mind, three days and three rides is good in my book.

Also with riding into a head wind being character building, I now have it in abundance.

Looking forward to some less windy days as my average speed has taken a bit of a battering.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I didn't see any other cyclists out in the wind yesterday,that must be a first! Does anyone else find windy conditions more knackering than heat rain or cold? I slept for an hour after my ride which is unusual for me.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Having to pedal downhill, on a hill where 30mph+ is your normal speed, is one that gets to you.

Abandoning my trusted steed (Giant Escape 1) again this week for the sherabang called the Number 23 bus because of this weather conditions and saftey.

I don't know what hurts most; missing the endorphin rush in the morning or having to pay the £8 return bus fair.
confused-31.gif

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well if it makes you feel any better a big black cloud with lots of water in it has left Bristol and is heading in the direction of London now!

I need to get out and check my snow tyres that I've put on this morning but it's not looking tempting out there at the minute!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well if it makes you feel any better a big black cloud with lots of water in it has left Bristol and is heading in the direction of London now!

I need to get out and check my snow tyres that I've put on this morning but it's not looking tempting out there at the minute!

It's actually a lovey day in London. Blue skies... but looking west.. not for much longer.

Top Bottom