Wedge Bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dave_79

I have a large Dirt Monkey wedge bag that i got from H******* a few years back. It does the job but now have started being more prepared so unzipped the expandable bit, now its really chunky which I don't mind apart from that as it expands downwards the strap comes loose from the bottom so it wobbles around a bit. Also after I'd eaten the food i somehow managed to shove in there, the tools rattled around no end which was pretty annoying!

Was thinking of getting a large Topeak Aero clip version but heard mixed reports about the clip system, ie it can break off too easily! What do you folks who have used a clip type wedge bag make of them? Also is the Topeak 'survival' bag with tools housed in foam in their own compartment at the top of the bag any good? I guess it stops them rattling about anyway.....

Any wedge bags considered if they are easily detachable as my strap one is so fiddly........

buggi

Bird Saviour
i have a Specialized one with straps and my brother has a topeak one, and both are stable and don't wobble around. I don't like the clips, if the clip goes, then the whole bag is gone and you wouldn't even notice. with the straps there are usuall two or 3 and so no chance of losing the bag if one strap breaks.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
i have a Specialized one with straps and my brother has a topeak one, and both are stable and don't wobble around. I don't like the clips, if the clip goes, then the whole bag is gone and you wouldn't even notice. with the straps there are usuall two or 3 and so no chance of losing the bag if one strap breaks.

I also have a Dirt Monkey like the OP and a Topeak aerowedge both with straps.
I know the issue with the DM, but I pretty much agree with buggi, straps every time. The other benefit is that bags with straps are readily transferrable from bike to bike without fuss. The clips also don't fit all saddles, Brooks being the awkward one here.
I seldom use a wedge-pack anymore as I keep all my tubes/tools, P* repair kit, medication in a container in the bottle-cage, the benifit is that the weight is lower down and helps improve bike handling. The wedgies just go on for a bit of extra nosh capacity!:

Peo storeage bottle:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16400

MrRidley

I've used a Topeak Aero Wedge with clip for about 3 years and have never had a problem, also i bought a spare clip £3.50 at the time so i can transfer between bikes, great bit of kit for me.

OP
OP
D

dave_79

thanks, do both of these stay stable even when expanded? Thats when mine starts to wobble! Are they easy to access when you need your stuff out of them? Every time i locked my bike up to go in a shop etc, i wanted to take my phone/cash etc out but they were so awkward to get to whilst keeping the bag attached that i ended up removing the whole bag each time and then was very fiddly to get back on, hence why i was considering a clip.

I also have a Dirt Monkey like the OP and a Topeak aerowedge both with straps.
I know the issue with the DM, but I pretty much agree with buggi, straps every time. The other benefit is that bags with straps are readily transferrable from bike to bike without fuss. The clips also don't fit all saddles, Brooks being the awkward one here.
I seldom use a wedge-pack anymore as I keep all my tubes/tools, P* repair kit, medication in a container in the bottle-cage, the benifit is that the weight is lower down and helps improve bike handling. The wedgies just go on for a bit of extra nosh capacity!:

Peo storeage bottle:
http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=16400

the bottle-cage storage thing looks pretty handy though i only have one cage on my bike!

rusky

CC Addict
I have a Topeak Aero Wedge with clip. It also has a strap that goes around the seatpost. I've got a Genuine innovations strap one that's really fiddly to get on so I got the Topeak.

IIRC, Topeak do the aero with straps too.

Got the Large Topeak Aero Wedge for the ease of swapping between bikes and both on a Brooks Saddle...
Like the idea of 3 fixing points Saddle Rails and Seatpost....

Managed to fill with 2 Tubes,Inflator CO2 cartridges, Tools etc.... will probably have to expand it to get a bit of Emergency Food in there (Jelly Beans etc).

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I use a Cannondale Expander Wedge that I've had for 18 years.

I wasn't impressed with the clip as it didn't seem positive enough so, as a prototype, I made a new one out of tuffnel with a view to copying it in aluminium (as tuffnel is not really a structural material) when I got the shape right. The tuffnel one is still fitted!

I was concerned about if falling off and me not realising, so I tied a bit of nylon string round the clip that attaches to the seatpost. When I put the bag on, I just tie the string in a bow round the seatpost as well.

I prefer the clip ones, they are just that bit faster to take of the bike; if you are using the Topeak ones with narrow rails on a road bike saddle, you also need to buy an adapter. I've also got a topeak aero wedge with straps its not quite as fast but has the benefit of fitting on almost any bike (including an un seen hire bikes).
A couple of years ago I tried a Lazynene (with straps) it looks more water proof and has neat compartments but its not so fast to use and ultimately its rearclip for holding an LED wasn't as good as Topeak.
Ive also got a fizik one which clips into a fizik saddle, its pretty neat and holds an LED well but its limited to fizik and wouln't take much weight.
I've also used the Ortlieb one which clips on but it has no rear strap for an LED and is a bit big for most of my rides.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
That's a point; my Cannondale one had no strap for an LED so I stiched on a bit of webbing...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I have two of the large Topeak Wedge packs with clip attachment, one of them is the one with the little toolkit at the top. I also had to buy different saddle attachments due to having a Brooks and also for another saddle. I've had no problems with the attachments breaking but I've never been happy with them. I find they are difficult to access stuff and don't hold as much as the size would indicate. So recently I bought a Topeak Aero Wedge in large and decided to try the straps version, I've since bought another. I would always go for the Aero style now, much prefer the access via the rear panel opening. The clip version would be easier to take on and off but the straps aren't exactly onerous.

My curent favourite setup is the strap on aero wedge pack, the Topeak Tri-Bag on the top tube and a large storage bottle in one of the cages, seems to cover every eventuality.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i just wouldn't trust a clip because i keep my phone and purse in my saddle bag, that's why i prefer the security of the straps. Neither of the bags wobble around, even when full, becuase of the seat post clip (my specialized has velcro straps which you can pull tight and the topeak has adjusters on the straps.

I put my tool in the bag and then i put my purse/phone and keys in a plastic bag, and just pull that out when i go into a shop. i would remove it fully if i was leaving the bike for any time locked up away from me.

Norm

I've got 2 Topeak Aero wedges, a medium and a large expandable one, they clip under the seat and strap to the seat post. For a couple of quid, I got spare seat clips too, so each bike has a clip and I can choose the bag to match the ride.

The bracket on the larger one did break, but it was very full (I was out with my daughter so carrying extra stuff) and it snapped riding down a step at the bottom of a long descent off a bridge, so I put that down to abuse rather than design issues. Aside from anything else, the strap still held the bag in place and it was very quickly and easily mended (with superglue) when I got home.

OP
OP
D

dave_79

I have two of the large Topeak Wedge packs with clip attachment, one of them is the one with the little toolkit at the top. I also had to buy different saddle attachments due to having a Brooks and also for another saddle. I've had no problems with the attachments breaking but I've never been happy with them. I find they are difficult to access stuff and don't hold as much as the size would indicate. So recently I bought a Topeak Aero Wedge in large and decided to try the straps version, I've since bought another. I would always go for the Aero style now, much prefer the access via the rear panel opening. The clip version would be easier to take on and off but the straps aren't exactly onerous.

My curent favourite setup is the strap on aero wedge pack, the Topeak Tri-Bag on the top tube and a large storage bottle in one of the cages, seems to cover every eventuality.

The Topeak Aero Wedge seems exactly what i'm after - i like the rear zip opening, seems much easier to access your stuff, as on the more traditional wedge bags like the older Topeak/DM etc the zips won't fully open cos the straps get in the way! Also it appears to expand outwards instead of downwards which seems better. Mesh pocket looks good for coins etc as my bag is just one big space so takes ages rummaging around for cash etc! It seems the strap version is generally preferred then. As much as i like the idea of the clip I will probably go for the strap, will prob go and get one v soon. Thanks for replies so far.

Top Bottom