Weed Killer......which is best? has anyone tried white vinegar ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
We have 3 good sized gardens (seemed a good idea 30+ years ago). In them we have 3 large gravel beds which naturally attract lots of various weeds.
As I am not as sprightly as I used to be I have decided to buy a decent pump action sprayer and blitz them.
BUT........which weed killer to use is the question.
Please dont use this to bombard me with ethics.......I just want suggestions as which to use.
Thanks.

My local conservation officer recommend good old glyphosate for eliminating plants prior to establishing a wildflower meadow. Roundup is the commercial brand.

I use it with full protective equipment inc rubber gloves, goggles and face mask and take care not to spray into the wind.

I use up every batch that I mix (from agricultural concentrate) and never pour down the drain.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
We used something called pathclear? Or similar a few years ago. Worked a treat. Stopped the weeds dead and they didnt grow back for a couple of years.

classic33

Leg End Member
Gramoxone 250, applied early on in the day, will have cleared most of it that afternoon.

White vinegar does work, but you may have to sacrifice the use of the area you're using it on until it's had time.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Domestic weed killer is ok but nothing like it was.

As above Path clear, Roundup and othe mix in a sprayer types.

Dont bother with a pre mixed if you have a bit to do.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Roundup is very effective and you just treat the weed. Quite economical if used sparingly. It will kill grass and stuff you do want, so use with care.

Great at getting rid of grass between paves.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Sorry this just reminded me of when I was perhaps 13 or 14. One of my jobs for my Uncle was to spray his driveway and other parts surrounding sheds and buildings etc. I used a big napsack sprayer filled with roundup. It was an old sprayer so used to leak a lot, all done my back. I also never wore any PPE. I wish I had now after reading everything about glyphosphate

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Rosate 360 TF from eBay. It is glyphosate and very keenly priced.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Sorry this just reminded me of when I was perhaps 13 or 14. One of my jobs for my Uncle was to spray his driveway and other parts surrounding sheds and buildings etc. I used a big napsack sprayer filled with roundup. It was an old sprayer so used to leak a lot, all done my back. I also never wore any PPE. I wish I had now after reading everything about glyphosphate
I’m not that careful with it either to be honest. Still don’t wear gloves or any other protection. I also had one several years ago that leaked like that!

Seevio

Guru
An equal parts mixture of 2,4,5-T and 2,4-D would probably do the trick. You may want to avoid the garden for a bit afterwards though.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
IMG_20190623_223808_520.jpg

This is my five burner flame weeder.. I use it post sowing, pre-emergent on direct seeded crops.. I carry the gas bottle in the backpack.

It wilts seedling weeds in one pass, then they die..

But you could have a trolley mounted bottle, if the pack is too heavy.

They're considering banning glyphosate (round up) in Europe, because of its effects on human health and the wider environment.

The white vinegar is an interesting idea. Or if it's on gravel, where you're not expecting anything to grow, at all maybe use salt..
Or even both for the full, fish n chip effect :rolleyes:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I’m not that careful with it either to be honest. Still don’t wear gloves or any other protection. I also had one several years ago that leaked like that!

I just wash my hands after. I bought a 2.5 litre container for about £14 about 3 years ago - mainly to treat the mother in laws house, but there has been enough left to just spot weed at home - only ever use it on weeds growing between paves/walls etc.

I just use traditional weed and feed on my lawns.

Top Bottom