Weekend DIY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I've got a log cabin to assemble.

Bet that'll be a pine in the arse!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Why do you want a floating boom?

I've got a floating oxygenating plant that spread likes wild fire, unfortunately the pond is full of tadpoles that get caught in it when I try and net it out. Idea was put a floating boom in a corner and sling the plant into it and the tadpoles can get back into the water. Seems to be working, once the tadpoles are big enough I'm going to try and get rid of the plant altogether.

postman

Legendary Member
The sun was shining brightly this morning so decided to paint the garage door. Not great at DIY so read the instructions on the tin which said " stir well and always put on 4 coats when using this product "
I was bloody boiling by the time I'd finished. :smile:

At least you didn't pierce the tin and stand in boiling water for twenty mins.It hurts your feet,i can tell you.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've got to pull the WC pan off the branch from the soil pipe and off the flush pipe. The screw that holds the seat onto the pan has fallen off and there's no other way of getting to it and reattaching it. Working next to an open soil pipe is my least favourite activity.
It's a dirty job but somebody has to do it.

Last edited:

Lullabelle

Banana
Which reds should you chill — and for how long? It’s complicated, but consider their body.

Body refers to the weight and intensity of a wine in your mouth. Generally speaking, big-bodied wine will be full in your mouth and powerful, a light-bodied one will be thinner, less intense. There’s also a correlation with color and opacity; if you hold a light bodied wine up to the light, you can usually see through it.

Chances are, even the bigger-bodied bottles of red you have stored at room temperature would benefit from a quick 45 minutes in the fridge, until they’re slightly cool to the touch. (Some wine experts say you shouldn’t drink any bottle of wine above 65º.)

That said, don’t go overboard, especially with expensive, more nuanced wines; you don’t want to cool down a nice $50 red wine too much, because then you might not experience the flavor subtleties you paid more money for. Unfortunately there’s no hard and fast rule for what to chill and how long. But light-bodied wines can certainly handle a little more time in the fridge — about an hour or so, until the bottle is starting to feel cold. So let’s start there.

Here are some red wines to try chilled, and how.

Chill half of a bottle, and try a pour of that and a pour of the same wine at room temp side by side to experience firsthand how temperature affects your experienceof a wine. Because the most important thing is what you like better.

The key word here is “try.” While some of these wines, like Lambrusco and Beaujolais, are traditionally consumed chilled, not all are. You can even experiment with cooling down a number of other reds not listed here — like Merlot, or a young Spanish Rioja. You can’t guarantee it’ll always be great, but what better way to learn than to try.

And in the meantime, you can say fun, wine-experty things like, “I think this wineshows itself best at a warmer temperature,” or “This wine drinks better a little colder.”

Lambrusco

Lambruscos are very light-bodied sparkling wines made in northeastern Italy of Lambrusco grapes. Supposedly they were first produced by the Etruscans. As you may know, wine results when yeast eats sugary grape juice; if a winemaker stops that fermentation before the yeast are through, there will be sugar left in the wine. Some Lambruscos are sweet (meaning the winemaker has left sugar in the wine itself), some are medium-dry (meaning there’s some sugar in the wine) and some are dry (meaning there’s little to no sugar left in the wine itself).

Why is Lambrusco spritzy? The simplified answer is that the other by-product of fermentation is carbon dioxide. In order to make a sparkling wine like Lambrusco, winemakers first produce a still wine (with no sparkles) and then add more sugar and let the yeast go to town again — what’s called a “secondary fermentation” — this time trapping the gas in the wine.

becoming appreciated by American wine writers and consumers again. It’s as light in color as a cranberry cocktail, isn’t sweet, and is oh-so-refreshing. Just be sure you emphasize to a wineshop owner you want a dryLambrusco.

Beaujolais
Beaujolais is the wine that comes from the Beaujolais region of France. It’s made out of the Gamay grape, which produces some of the lightest-bodied reds out there. There is a general relationship between how big a wine’s body is and how long it needs to be aged in bottle before release. It’s Gamay’s petit personality that enables some Beaujolais to be released as quickly as possible after a harvest as “Beaujolais Nouveau.”

Though some people first heard about it in Sideways, Pinot Noir is one of the world’s most revered wine grapes. It’s the basis of the red wines of Burgundy — one of France’s most iconic regions — and it’s planted lots of other places, including New Zealand, California, and Oregon. It’s lighter bodied and produces famously complex and delicious wines.

Also in northeastern Italy, the Barbera D’Asti region relies upon the Barbera grape, which is the third-most planted grape in Italy. Barbera D’Asti wines have relatively high acid, aren’t tremendously complicated and aren’t usually aged for a long time, which is all good news for chilled drinking.

White Zinfandel is a wine product derived from Zinfandel grapes, loaded with sugars and preservatives, and sold by the likes of Beringer and Franzia. This is not that, making this yet another example of a great wine whose good name has been sullied.

Zinfandel is arguably the flagship red grape of California — for a long time, in fact, people even thought it was native there. (Since genetic testing came about, it’s been discovered it’s the same as a red grape from Italy called Primitivo.) The biggest bodied of the wines on this list by a long shot, Zinfandels are not often consumed cold, nor should they all be.

As with the Pinot Noirs, you can break the bank with Zinfandel — and there’s no need to for these purposes. You want something inexpensive, bright, and jammy. Sonoma’s Dry Creek Valley is a great place to source from. Do not judge the Dead Bolt Zinfandel, on the left, by its garish bottle; it was dee-licious cold.

Red at room temperature :cheers:

Katherine

Guru
I planted out the runner beans, mostly with my left hand. Luckily I prepared the ground last weekend as I'm meant to be resting my right elbow. Mind you, all the digging last weekend was probably a contribution to my current tennis elbow.
Contemplating some left handed ironing tomorrow..

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I've got to pull the WC pan off the branch from the soil pipe and off the flush pipe. The screw that holds the seat onto the pan has fallen off and there's no other way of getting to it and reattaching it. Working next to an open soil pipe is my least favourite activity.
It's a dirty job but somebody has to do it.
Sandwich bag over the pipe held on with elastic band, worked for me when I had open routes to the stack whilst doing the kitchen.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've just finished off the decorating in the front room and about to start the hall, stairs and landing (not doing bad as I can only stand for about an hour on my broken mended leg before needing a rest :cheers:
Only snag is that due to the bodgery committed by Maz's ex-husband on painting the doors (he didn't even wipe them before painting them with another coat of gloss, let alone sanding them down a bit) I've now got 5 new doors to hang. :eek:
Might take me a bit more than a weekend. :whistle:

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
With the way the thread was going at first I was sceptical, but it does seem CC has a few DIYers out there!

Top Bottom