Weekend DIY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Octet

Veteran
As the title suggests, what are your current weekend DIY projects or tasks (or mishaps)? Whether it be putting up a shelf, tinkering with the bicycle(s) or building a garden deck.

I'll kick us off with my helping of weekend DIY, building a "sprung" floor and associated barre. The total project cost me about £20, excluding the cost of the power tools which I recently got from Lidl (and so far I'm impressed by their quality despite the price).

The base is 12 mm chipboard, which sits on offcuts which itself sits ontop of an EVA foam mat (the type you get in a gym). This sandwich of layers is what makes it springy, an essential when doing (or attempting to do) any sort of dancing (or even exercise) on a concrete floor.
Over this, I used some PVA to stick down some 'Cultisheet' (the stuff used to stop weeds growing through in the garden). This seems to give me a decent amount of friction so that I don't go arse over heels, but at the same time I can (attempt) to do a pirouette.

The barre is a broom handle, chopped at either end and fed through two curtain rail holders. Considering the brackets of a professional barre are in the region of £100 each, I didn't think this was too bad. I then just padded it out with some fabric tape, to prevent it slipping.

So, that's my weekend DIY project! Next week, I'm going to attempt a work bench (God help me...)

What's your weekend project?

Overview.png Spring.png Barre.png

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
This weekend will be mostly spent eating, drinking and merry making.

TVC

Nothing this weekend, having spent the last few weekends stripping out and completrly redecorating the bedroom.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
my weekend project is to strip the wall paper in my kitchen and repaper it, then paint... and making a spice rack of sorts. This has been my weekend project for months, but sitting on my arse and gorping at CycleChat keeps getting in the way.

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
my weekend project is to strip the wall paper in my kitchen and repaper it, then paint... and making a spice rack of sorts. This has been my weekend project for months, but sitting on my arse and gorping at CycleChat keeps getting in the way.

I'd be interested to know how your spice rack project goes, my mum has been going on about how she wants me to make one for a while, I haven't a giraffe on how to start it though.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
No DIY for me this week end cos took my grandson to emergency dentist which was closed!! then to "3" shop to renew my mobile contract, lunch in Asda, and a 42 mile ride this afternoon before resting in front on tv for rest of the day. Oh, cut the grass yesterday morning too.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'd be interested to know how your spice rack project goes, my mum has been going on about how she wants me to make one for a while, I haven't a giraffe on how to start it though.
so will I... knowing me I'll get the measurements fuddled and the jars won't fit. :blush:

As for how to start... My dimensions are three jars high and seven jars wide. Other than that, it's just a little bookshelf :smile:

Tin Pot

Guru
DIY ruined my last summer. It's not doing it to me again!

Kids, bikes, sunshine, woods and running for me.

I've got a long list of projects I would love to do, but it seems I need a wage to motivate me to work rather than a sense of achievement.

Top Bottom