Weight distribution across panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Also practice turning around when walking a loaded bike. Quite easy to bump/trip/fall in a confined space.
Yes, I've already knocked it over in the hall today because I forgot the panniers were on it!

2bags should be more than enough. Hauling 4 bags around is pita. I like 2+ barbag. Rixen & Kaul make an extended bracket to solve cable issues. I also carry a simple unpadded duffel style backpack, about 15L , came free with my Paramo jacket. You some room for food.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is there any advantage at all in spreading the load into 4 panniers and forgetting the frame bag? A lot of advice on the web suggest splitting the load across front and rear racks, but I'm guessing that this is aimed at people who will be more heavily laden than me.
No, no advantage - probably a penalty, so choose either front or rear unless you need the space. 2 pannier or either 2+frame bag will usually be faster than running 4 panniers, based on https://www.cyclingabout.com/speed-...bikepacking-bags-aerodynamic-testing-results/ and I'd favour the rear, for reasons broadly outlined in https://www.cyclingabout.com/best-carry-load-bicycle-touring-front-rear-panniers/

Personally, I've fitted what I need the last two years into a saddlebag, tail roll and bar bag.

Julia9054

Guru
I've got a very small, waterproof, bag which sits on the top of the cross bar. I can just about manage phone, cards, cash, etc into that so might give it a try.

Do you leave panniers attached if going into a cafe/shops?

Thanks
Yes but wouldn't leave for long and all my valuables are attached to me. If you are spending a few hours somewhere, look for an underground bike park with CCTV. Ghent definitely has one.

Reactions: Dwn
If I'm understanding it correctly you want to carry 6kg of gear? In that case two panniers should be fine.
For a heavier load I personally prefer distributing the weight front and back.
Some would even say to put the two panniers on the front only.
If you're staying in hotels you won't be buying food for the evening.

You won't be meeting too many hills, certainly none steep enough to bother you. But, you may have issues carrying 4 panniers up to your room. Some old hotels have very narrow and steep stairs!

As for security outside shops etc. a bit of situational awareness goes a long way. I've always left my panniers on my bike (but I pack a lot more than 6kg). I normally take my handlebar bag though. I'd rarely lock my bike too. It's too darn heavy & awkward for someone to make a quick getaway! ^_^
But your situation is different. Two panniers 6kg total could quickly disappear.
I think, twice, (both times in France) I've pulled into a supermarket and left again because I didn't like the vibe.
For reference I've toured all over Belgium & NL and big parts of France.

As advised above, try out different setups - you've lots of time....and it's fun! ^_^

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
If it makes no difference to the feel of the ride I would go with two rear panniers. This will be much easier off the bike e.g. On the train and in hotels.

Reactions: Dwn
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Thanks for all of the replies. For this particular trip it looks like trying to stick to the 2 panniers fitted to the rear will be best - given that there isn't much weight or volume involved. As has been pointed out, it will make life easier when I have to move them from the bike - trains, hotels, etc.

Regards

Top Bottom