Weight distribution across panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

It's too windy here to cycle today, so I thought I'd have a practice pack for a short tour I'm planning in the spring. This has prompted a question about weight distribution across the panniers which I'm hoping to get some advice on.

I've settled (thanks to good advice on this forum) on the following itinerary:

Day 1 - Glasgow to Calais (Coquelles) via trains and eurotunnel bike service.
Day 2- Coquelles to Ypres
Day 3 - Ypres to Ghent
Day 4 - Ghent to Brussels
Day 5 - Brussels to Glasgow via Eurostar and West Coast line

I'll be staying in hotels each night, so no camping gear to haul. I have a rear rack and also a low rider fitted in anticipation of a longer tour in the summer. I've also got 4 small (12.5l) ortlieb pannier bags and another frame bag (4l) that sits under the cross bar. I find that I can get pretty much everything I need into two panniers and the frame bag. The combined weight of the panniers is just under 6kg, and the fully loaded bike (with water bottles etc) is just under 23kg. Tbh, I could travel with less but since it's both short and fairly flat I'm not too bothered about overall weight.

Is there any advantage at all in spreading the load into 4 panniers and forgetting the frame bag? A lot of advice on the web suggest splitting the load across front and rear racks, but I'm guessing that this is aimed at people who will be more heavily laden than me. As always, any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Some will say yes, go for four, others will say no you only need two.

Personally I'd go for four as that leaves space for stuff i might pick up on the way (cake, beer, eggs, junk, etc.)

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I'd just take two rear panniers and not bother with frame bag, I'd rather have 2 water bottles.. I also have a a 5l Ortleib Handlebar Bag for everything you want during the day, Garmin /Phone/map can go under clear cover. It's easy to take off and on to take into shops cafes etc We get everything into 2 back rollers and the bar bag inc tools/spare tyre etc with just tent on top when camping for 2 weeks. You'll be fine with two front rollers on back, no need to spread weight further for a short tour. Also take a musette, simple drawstring bag with shoulder straps you get free with some trainers etc for filling with food. We fit the food in the panniers too. You won't need to carry much if eating out mainly anyway.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Thanks for the replies. I did have a bar bag, but the cables made mounting it slightly less easy than it should have been, so that went on eBay. The garmin is on an out front mount, which works well for visibility.

I probably could ditch the cross bar bag on this occasion and squeeze everything into the panniers. The bag is great for day trips, but has 5 velcro straps so removing isn't done lightly - and with the trains / lunch stops, and so on it would save some slight hassle if I didn't take it. It's not a deep bag, and allows me to carry two water bottles in their cages - but drinking on the move becomes difficult when it's fitted.

4 pannier bags instinctively feels like too many - especially if load balancing is less of an issue. I'll also be eating in cafes and restaurants so don't expect to need spare capacity for food, beer, etc. Time for a trial re-pack!

Julia9054

Guru
I did a very similar tour last year (5 nights away) with just two rear panniers. I had a clip round the waist bum bag stuffed into the top of one pannier with valuables in that I could take with me if I was going into a cafe or somewhere. Takes a few miles to get used to where your centre of gravity now is - especially if you stand up to pedal. I was impressed with my packing skills as this was the first time I had done anything like this. Usually packing for a holiday involves the boot of an estate car and camping equipment!

Reactions: Dwn
I’ve rarely used panniers. I find it better to load me, not the bike. It’s easier and more effective to shift my loaded body around, than a loaded bike.

Reactions: Dwn
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

I’ve rarely used panniers. I find it better to load me, not the bike. It’s easier and more effective to shift my loaded body around, than a loaded bike.

Decades ago, when much younger and fitter, I had a 50 mile round trip commute. For about 2 weeks I used a backpack and then switched to panniers. Massive improvement in comfort immediately.

We're all different but the thought of even a small back pack for any distance just fills me with horror. My back wouldn't be up to it I'm afraid.

Decades ago, when much younger and fitter, I had a 50 mile round trip commute. For about 2 weeks I used a backpack and then switched to panniers. Massive improvement in comfort immediately.

We're all different but the thought of even a small back pack for any distance just fills me with horror. My back wouldn't be up to it I'm afraid.

I'm with you there. One reason I converted my bike to an Xtracycle was that I was fed up of Sweaty Back Syndrome. I much prefer to let the bike carry the weight, especially when working on my feet all day.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The sole reason i decided to have front and back panniers is because many years ago, touring the Lake District with only a backrack and backpack, I was struggling to keep my front wheel on the ground on some of the steep uphills. I decided there and then that the stuff in my backpack needed to be on the front of the bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

I did a very similar tour last year (5 nights away) with just two rear panniers. I had a clip round the waist bum bag stuffed into the top of one pannier with valuables in that I could take with me if I was going into a cafe or somewhere. Takes a few miles to get used to where your centre of gravity now is - especially if you stand up to pedal. I was impressed with my packing skills as this was the first time I had done anything like this. Usually packing for a holiday involves the boot of an estate car and camping equipment!
I've got a very small, waterproof, bag which sits on the top of the cross bar. I can just about manage phone, cards, cash, etc into that so might give it a try.

Do you leave panniers attached if going into a cafe/shops?

Thanks

The sole reason i decided to have front and back panniers is because many years ago, touring the Lake District with only a backrack and backpack, I was struggling to keep my front wheel on the ground on some of the steep uphills.

This is one great advantage of a long tail bike: your weight is in the middle of the bike, not over the back wheel. It's more comfortable as well.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

The sole reason i decided to have front and back panniers is because many years ago, touring the Lake District with only a backrack and backpack, I was struggling to keep my front wheel on the ground on some of the steep uphills.
Yes, that's a good point. If I was touring nearer home (west of Scotland) I would definitely factor that in. I've looked at the various routes between Calais and Brussels and none of them seem particularly hilly so hoping that won't be an issue.

Top Bottom