weight on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ice2911

Über Member
Many thanks for these links, I found them a really interesting read. I'm planning my first major tour for June and this gives me plenty of food for thought.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
bikeweight.jpg

Interesting. Thanks. Will read. But don't believe for a second that in the first piece that bike with the red/orange forks is a wise choice for the pictured terrain.

fraefreuchie

Veteran
Steve thanks for these links which make fascinating reading. I got a bluetooth keyboard from Santa which I was planning to use to keep a blog on my phone/ satnav/musicplayer/map. I am now coming round to thinking that I can afford the weight of my laptop. It is nice to have your gut instincts confirmed by someone who has taken a scientific approach.

Tin Pot

Guru

I will politely call horseshit based on my sole experience in Ireland. :smile:

I average 26-27kph unladen, I had a mere ~5kg on my back and dropped to 21-22kph, adding an hour to my journey.

Steve thanks for these links which make fascinating reading. I got a bluetooth keyboard from Santa which I was planning to use to keep a blog on my phone/ satnav/musicplayer/map. I am now coming round to thinking that I can afford the weight of my laptop. It is nice to have your gut instincts confirmed by someone who has taken a scientific approach.
I'd think about a chromebook to be honest - maybe tougher (no moving bits) and can be used offline for some things despite what folk think. Am now thinking of taking mine rather than the tablet - tougher - and way better battery life so can go a long time without charges. Also way more useful for sorting routes and getting them onto the garmin.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm not too fussed about the extra weight (if you've gotta take it, you've gotta take it), but do wonder if the combination of extra weight and my 2.35" balloon tyres will present too much rolling resistance, especially on long slow climbs.

Top Bottom