1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight Watcher's Thread

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Shaun, 8 Jan 2008.

1. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

It's perfectly doable and not a stupidly unhealthy rate of weight loss, but it would take some self-discipline to achieve it.

I find it an awful lot easier to control my weight now after giving up alcohol altogether! I had a bit of a problem immediately after that when I substituted chocolate and cake for the booze. I have cut down on them too now but allow myself them as treats from time to time, and especially on any long bike ride.

2. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Chubby boy here checking in at 11 stone 12 lbs this morning: goal is to be below 11 stone, preferably back down to 10 1/2 stone. Current BMI is aroud 25 post-operation and that'll be going down ...

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
    dave r likes this.
  3. nickAKA

nickAKA Regular

Put on 1.5kg over christmas which I'm considering a win, given that at the start of december I was probably down 6kg on the year. Back into it now in earnest using zwift to spur me on having stupidly agreed to go out for a pedal with a mate who puts in serious miles (plus sunshine holiday planned in Feb & don't want to be accidentally harpooned on the beach)

4. cyberknight

cyberknight Guru

Put on half a stone over the last 6 months mainly due to lack of riding then over x mas eating like a pig .Glad to be back at work as i tend to comfort eat if i am bored , at least at work i keep busy.
    houlder permitting i plan to get sub 10 and a half stone again .

5. graham bowers

graham bowers Über Member

New years day 16 st 2 1/2 lb. Aiming to lose 2 or 3 lb a week until I get to 13 st then reappraise. Following the slimming world methods plus Dry January.

Beebo likes this.
  6. ColinJ

Starting the year at 86 kg (13 st 7.5 lbs). Aiming to get down to 79.5 kg (12 st 7 lbs).

On the Morrisons 2-for-£3 diet! (Got mini chocolate rolls and shortbreads in today for a pal who is cycling over for coffee and cake.)

Will revert to 5:2 fasting and healthy food tomorrow! :okay:

iancity likes this.
  7. pauldavid

pauldavid Über Member

Decided that Friday will be my weigh in day as I continue the search for my ideal weight. I’m not setting a target as such. Instead I will be using a combination of how I feel and my level of repulsion when I look at myself in the mirror as a guide. Weigh ins will just be to confirm that I am making progress.

So this morning is 100.6kg, a 1kg loss. The really good news is that almost all of the Christmas excess of tempting food is gone as is the chest infection I was carrying over the holiday so exercise should also be ok to resume this weekend/next week.

Good luck to the rest of you in your quest!

ColinJ likes this.
  8. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

103.4kg today.
    That is the first weigh in done, the first easy kilos have gone. It won’t be that easy every week.

pauldavid likes this.
  9. groundy74

groundy74 Regular

First time on the scales since Xmas and a shocking 11 lb increase to a whopping 19 stone!! After 18 months of yo yo weight with some good miles but poor diet, this is the year I'm going to kick myself into shape. Can't ride much in Jan due to work commitments but the healthy eating starts today and the spinning class and riding re-starts Feb (hopefully fit in 2/3 rides in Jan). Plan is to reach 16 stone by 29 July in time for Ride London with the intention of fitting in several sportive's prior to that and at least 2 * 100 mile rides on my own

10. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

I've been trying to lose weight on and off for years, and I typically lose 5 or 6kg then ease off, forget about it, and it builds back up again.

But I've got a specific incentive this year - the Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool 100 mile bike ride in July. I did it last year and the final section was very difficult (and painful) due to too much weight and not enough training - and I really don't want to feel that way again this year.

My diet is generally reasonably healthy, but there's just too much of it, so I've started this week on a reduced kcal diet (and I'm cutting out all alcohol for an undetermined time). Monday morning is weighing time, and I've started off at 97.8kg. My aim is to get down to 85kg by July, which is around 0.5kg per week, and that should hopefully be achievable.

iancity and GetAGrip like this.
  11. pauldavid

pauldavid Über Member

Really bad week, just weighed in at 100.4kg. Still downward but only by 0.2kg. I could make any number of excuses but reality is more like my old school reports “must try harder”

GetAGrip and Alan O like this.
  12. ColinJ

Hi Paul. I don't think 'trying harder' will work!

It will work in the short term because you can force yourself to do things that you don't want to do (or stop doing things that you DO want to do!) but at some point you will crack, or you will hit your target and relax. The next thing you know, the weight will be going back on.

I think the real answer is to 'try smarter'. Find a new way of life that works and that doesn't feel like you are 'trying'. You will be able to stick to that and break the cycle.

Good luck!

iancity and Alan O like this.
  13. I started the new year at the heaviest I've ever been, not surprising at all considering the lack of cycling over the last 18 months.

Made a few adjustments to my food intake, reduced the sugar in my tea/coffee by 50% and have been a bit more active so far (no cycling but been out for a few walks instead of sitting around and snacking)

No more canteen breakfasts and dinners, instead I'm having porridge in the morning and taking my own healthy stuff on for midday.

Will weigh myself every 8 days ( I work a 4 on 4 off shift pattern so that will be my first day off) and see how I go.

2lb off when I weighed in yesterday so at least the downward trend has started.

ColinJ, GetAGrip and Alan O like this.
  14. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

That's not a "really bad week" at all - just think, you've lost 1.2kg in 2 weeks, which is an excellent start!

Unless you can control your calories in and calories out to a precise degree, your weight loss will not go linearly - and some weeks you might even put a bit back on. Also, we don't always retain/expel water at exactly the same rate, and at weigh-in time we won't have precisely the same weight of stuff currently going through our digestive systems.

Digital scales which weigh to a resolution of 0.2kg are great, but I reckon that level of precision is too fine for our natural day-to-day variation in weight and we shouldn't pay too much attention to that implied accuracy on the basis of a week.

Just keep at it and wait until your first month is up, and if you've lost a couple of kilos by then you'll be doing fine.

iancity likes this.
  15. ColinJ

Good luck with it.

You will always be welcome on my rides if you get back into cycling enough to enjoy them again! :okay:

potsy likes this.