weird and wacky recumbents!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

irw

Quadricyclist
What killed the cat question, but I'll ask it anyway.
Whats the weight of the homebuild?

Without the passenger seat on the back, it's about 70Kg- If I ever build a Mark II, there are a lot of supports I'd be happy to cut out, similarly, I'd be happy to use a thinner gauge metal for many parts as well! I think Mark II would have the potential to get below 50Kg!

classic33

Leg End Member
DO NOT OPEN THIS LINK!!!!!!

Many years ago when I was a youngster (well younger anyway) there came forth a magazine called "Encycleoedia" which investigated many of the cycling initiatives and developments and it was a "Bible" for alternative cycling

They are now available on line:

Issuu - Encycleopedia

It is interesting to see how various machines developed from early models to the later production models.

However as above - beware as these are addictive, and had a large effect on my wallet as it inspired the piurchase of the Trice, Linear, Birdy, Brompton, Street Machine and others
Nice link. I have the hard copy from 2000/2001.

classic33

Leg End Member
Tandem Quad Towing Trailer.jpg
Flyke.png

The basic Atomic Zombie builds all use MTB rear triangles and standard bike bits , Unless it is a low trike where a fabricated rear end is used . ( mainly delta trikes ) Where it becomes difficult, is obtaining low cost 14mm axle hubs for tadpole trikes , I have found a way of converting some 10mm front disc hubs to either 14mm bmx spindles or 15mm silver steel axles . The alternative is the more costly 20mm axle hubs and that puts the wheels well over £150 to build .

AZ trikes and bikes are built from 16g round or square tubing for reasonable strength and lightness but keeping the materials used in the budget for home builders .

Some home builders are starting to use 6061 alloy tubing but this requires heat treatment after completion that is usually out of reach for the home builder .

AZ crew members look like normal people unless they are riding their builds and then like most trike riders they exhibit the "bent " grin

regards emma

Top Bottom