Weird car options, an observation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
Ahem, I believe you mean "de-chrome"...:whistle:

No, the manufacturer will sell you a nice RF blocking pouch to put the key in with their logo on the front for £75. Or you can buy a generic one for £6 off Amazon.
Or just put the key in an old metal tin.

When keyless go was first introduced on the Mondeo, Top Gear magazine tested one and found that the car could be started and driven away with the key on the inside window sill of the reporters house...

Keyless cars are the best thing ever to happen for car thieves since I don't know when. Especially as you can buy the kit to steal the car online with no questions asked. This story is a few years old now but shows the scale of the problem: https://www.driving.co.uk/news/news...in-west-london-after-surge-in-keyless-thefts/

Anyhow, getting back on topic, what about £250 extra for yellow brake callipers on a Fiat?

Did you know that metallic paint costs the manufacturers hardly any more than a "solid" colour does? Yet they charge hundreds extra for it? Or that white used to be a NCO, until it became trendy and now it costs £600 extra on some makes?

Aston Martin proudly assure their customers that they can match any colour on the planet for your new car. Simply provide a sample and they'll do the rest - just like the guy on the paint aisle in B&Q does, although they will change you considerably more.

You can also specify any colour of leather (and stitching) for the interior. I saw one with purple leather / yellow stitching when I was at their place last.
The craftspersonship was amazing, but the colour scheme offended my very soul.

Still, if you really don't want to be ripped off by a motor dealer, don't buy whatever paint protection they're selling. It costs them under £20 a car - they'll charge you ten times that or more.

I recall years back if you wanted black paint (non metallic, just solid black) it was an cost option. Now black is a no cost option and white has become a cost option. Some people must have figured there's something dodgy going on here with the prices so the manufactures made white a no-cost option again but added metallic white as a cost option. I reckon most of this stuff doesn't cost much and there is a huge profit to be made just on the options.

Then again, I suppose it's the same with bike wheels. A lightweight set costs similar money to make as a heavy set, yet are far dearer for the consumer to buy.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Some Estonian builders locked themselves out of their Transit outside our house. Over the course of an hour and a half they borrowed at least a dozen of my tools in an attempt to gain entry. Their determination not to call out an expensive locksmith was very impressive. In the end they gave up on the door locks and simply attacked the rubber seals that held in the glass quarterlight.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
Whilst the "restriction" is no doubt just a setting, one really important consideration is tyre speed rating. If your car is restricted to a mere 130 say, you can have lower speed rated tyres - but if the car is undrestricted you'd really need higher speed rated tyres. The thing I'd not realised till it had been explained to me by a car design engineer is that the higher rated tyres are not "better" tyres at all, since ride, roadholding, longevity and cost had all been sacrificed for a speed rating that you'd never use.l The lower speed rated tyres were likely better in every other respect

Range Rover Sport (and maybe other models) has something like this going on. If you choose (for example) a 3.0 engine, but you choose HSE rather than HSE Lux (or whatever the model was), then the speed limiter changes from 130mph to 140mph as it depends which tyres you get with the package.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Some Estonian builders locked themselves out of their Transit outside our house. Over the course of an hour and a half they borrowed at least a dozen of my tools in an attempt to gain entry. Their determination not to call out an expensive locksmith was very impressive. In the end they gave up on the door locks and simply attacked the rubber seals that held in the glass quarterlight.

early ford and some others central locking "80s" could be defeated with half a tennis ball.
Place half of the tennis ball over the door lock and give it a whack with your hand.
The air pressure popped the lock!!

Here's a vid of same thing with a tennis ball

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0NEZlpdzrB4

early ford and some others central locking "80s" could be defeated with half a tennis ball.
Place half of the tennis ball over the door lock and give it a whack with your hand.
The air pressure popped the lock!!

Here's a vid of same thing with a tennis ball

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0NEZlpdzrB4

That video is a fake. That’s really not how car door locks work.

Reason they do it with electric central locking is so the guy filming can hit the button.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Does anyone have 'auto parking' and trusts it ? My brother in law has both "parallel parking" and "parking in a space" options, but has chickened out of actually trying it.

I'll stick with 360 degree cameras - makes the 'park dead in the middle of a space challenge' good fun.

Top Bottom