Weird car options, an observation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
We slighly made 'skeleton' keys in metal work a school... a blank key shaped thing that definitely opened my dad's Marina. Didn't dare try it on any other car though.

Many moons ago a mate had locked his keys in his car. I suggested trying any other car key, but he told me how super secure his car's locks were, and reckoned he'd have to break a window to gain entry. I reiterated that trying any other key was worth a try... but he was adamant that it wouldn't work, and began snooping around the river bank for a suitable rock. Meanwhile, the second 'other' car key i borrowed opened his car.

I could get into an old car in under10 seconds with a bent welding rod.
The new cars are better at defeating this method.
Plus alarms ect.
If a thief wants it it's gone I'm afraid.

spen666

Legendary Member
Porsche charges £2k to get larger wheels because it looks sportier. Another £2k to lower the suspension coz it looks more aggressive. But now the ride height is too low so you can't go over speed bumps so another £2k buys you a front axle lift. You know all these mods makes the ride too firm so another £2k to get soft suspension option. Wowzer!.....

I am sure there is a saying about a fool and their money

Many years ago my dad said he might get me a Montego so when he took me out to show me the new car, I couldn't see it anywhere .He said it was right in front of me but still I couldn't see it. He said it begins with M and I still couldn't see it .Then he walk over to a Micra .omg, a Micra. What a poncy car o thought. But I loved that car, it was awesome!

That's what happened to me when I test drove the Swift. After having a BMW it was like having shackles removed!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
When I was a kid the boot key from the neighbour's Morris 1000 would open the doors on my dad's Hillman Hunter.
We once found our car gone at a supermarket. It seems there were very few key combinations on Hillman Avengers - someone had mistaken ours for theirs and gone home in it. They came back half an hour later.
Yep, a mate of mine came out of the pub, started his car and went to put his new cassette player on but it had been nicked so he looked in the back to see if the speakers were gone and found the thieves had kindly left him a kiddy seat in exchange.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When you have keyless and you get home at night do you have to park the car away from the house to be far enough away for it to lock?

Always wondered...

My brother-in-law is so worried he puts his key in a faraday bag so the signal won't get out, even if someone is sat on his driveway with the scanning equipment. Not being funny but I have lots of other keys on my keyring and it wouldn't fit.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My brother-in-law is so worried he puts his key in a faraday bag so the signal won't get out, even if someone is sat on his driveway with the scanning equipment. Not being funny but I have lots of other keys on my keyring and it wouldn't fit.

Sensible guy. Plenty of thefts using scanning equipment. I keep ours in a biscuit tin (which is a perfect Faraday cage). No need to buy a special bag or whatever

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I had a Capri that was keyless.

Well, keyless in the sense that any object slim enough to fit into the so called lock would open it.

My '68 Cortina needed a key- but any key would do, eg my gf's yale front door key.

By the '80s the locks were rather better but by this time a plastic ruler could ping the little button up in about 2 seconds for most cars avoiding the lock altogether

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
My '68 Cortina needed a key- but any key would do, eg my gf's yale front door key.

By the '80s the locks were rather better but by this time a plastic ruler could ping the little button up in about 2 seconds for most cars avoiding the lock altogether

Used to have a Vauxhall Firenza that did that. :smile:

Top Bottom