Weird car options, an observation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Doesn't it cost extra to not fit badges to a Lexus?

Same with bm.

Ahem, I believe you mean "de-chrome"...:whistle:

When you have keyless and you get home at night do you have to park the car away from the house to be far enough away for it to lock?
Always wondered...

No, the manufacturer will sell you a nice RF blocking pouch to put the key in with their logo on the front for £75. Or you can buy a generic one for £6 off Amazon.
Or just put the key in an old metal tin.

When keyless go was first introduced on the Mondeo, Top Gear magazine tested one and found that the car could be started and driven away with the key on the inside window sill of the reporters house...

Keyless cars are the best thing ever to happen for car thieves since I don't know when. Especially as you can buy the kit to steal the car online with no questions asked. This story is a few years old now but shows the scale of the problem: https://www.driving.co.uk/news/news...in-west-london-after-surge-in-keyless-thefts/

Anyhow, getting back on topic, what about £250 extra for yellow brake callipers on a Fiat?

Did you know that metallic paint costs the manufacturers hardly any more than a "solid" colour does? Yet they charge hundreds extra for it? Or that white used to be a NCO, until it became trendy and now it costs £600 extra on some makes?

Aston Martin proudly assure their customers that they can match any colour on the planet for your new car. Simply provide a sample and they'll do the rest - just like the guy on the paint aisle in B&Q does, although they will change you considerably more.

You can also specify any colour of leather (and stitching) for the interior. I saw one with purple leather / yellow stitching when I was at their place last.
The craftspersonship was amazing, but the colour scheme offended my very soul.

Still, if you really don't want to be ripped off by a motor dealer, don't buy whatever paint protection they're selling. It costs them under £20 a car - they'll charge you ten times that or more.

D

Deleted member 26715

I was in a bike so today they were selling bikes costing over £5K

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

I'll admit it's a long time since I was involved in the ordering of company cars (it's that long ago that we actually bought them, rather than leased), but I'm sure that BMW used to list the option as "de-chrome". It all means the same anyway. ^_^

I know this as a middle management grade used to have the following vehicles available:
Honda Accord 2.0 (can't remember the exact spec, but it was a decent if not the top of the range model)
Vauxhall Omega 2.0 CDX (top spec model of a car that Autocar stated drove almost as well as a 5-series of the time)
BMW 316i base (complete with wheeltrims and wind-up windows!)
Peugeot 406 2.0 (again, can't remember the spec but it was a decent spec one).

Almost every middle manager in the company ran a 3-series without badges. You can read into that what you like... :becool:

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 5384711, member: 9609"]so how can you check if its locked - do you have to leave your key-thing on a nearby wall then go back to the car and try the doors ? (by which time some scrote has swiped the key-thing and wants a tenner as a reward for finding it)[/QUOTE]
With the Jag you just have the key on your person and press a button on the handle as you pull it to open. It locks automatically if the fob is outside of the vehicle.

Slick

Guru
I'll admit it's a long time since I was involved in the ordering of company cars (it's that long ago that we actually bought them, rather than leased), but I'm sure that BMW used to list the option as "de-chrome". It all means the same anyway. ^_^

I know this as a middle management grade used to have the following vehicles available:
Honda Accord 2.0 (can't remember the exact spec, but it was a decent if not the top of the range model)
Vauxhall Omega 2.0 CDX (top spec model of a car that Autocar stated drove almost as well as a 5-series of the time)
BMW 316i base (complete with wheeltrims and wind-up windows!)
Peugeot 406 2.0 (again, can't remember the spec but it was a decent spec one).

Almost every middle manager in the company ran a 3-series without badges. You can read into that what you like... :becool:
One off private sale from a dealer always charged for the service. Maybe different for fleet.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Fiat do a keyless start option, they just rarely bother to fit the 'start' function :laugh:

simonali

Guru
The Audi RS3 is capable of doing 174mph, but it's limited to 155mph. It costs something like £1700 to have that limiter removed, which is probably only involves the flick of a virtual switch in some software.

Slick

Guru
I had a Capri that was keyless.

Well, keyless in the sense that any object slim enough to fit into the so called lock would open it.
Great car, until you wanted to go over a hump or go round a corner.

2.8 Laser was every teenage boys pin up in my day.

D

Deleted member 26715

The Audi RS3 is capable of doing 174mph, but it's limited to 155mph. It costs something like £1700 to have that limiter removed, which is probably only involves the flick of a virtual switch in some software.
Our SLK is the same but why would you?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
[QUOTE 5384711, member: 9609"]so how can you check if its locked - do you have to leave your key-thing on a nearby wall then go back to the car and try the doors ? (by which time some scrote has swiped the key-thing and wants a tenner as a reward for finding it)[/QUOTE]
It goes 'Bip!' as you walk away, the door locking solenoids go 'clunk' and the lights flash. You only have to be a couple of yards away.

Top Bottom