Well, I eventually converted - let's hope it's the right path...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
4 hours today spent cleaning my CX, de-cabling it then swapping over the stem and bars with that on my old hybrid - converted from drops to flat-bar with new cables, compatible levers and shifters - so now I'm an upright citizen - on the CX that is.
All because if a neck issue which refuses to go away and is exacerbated by riding the drops:gun:

Some may make disparaging remarks about such a move, however, to redeem myself, the roadie is staying true to its heritage and will still be used as such during the brighter months.

jack smith

Veteran
Photo? Hopefully it dosent look too bad!

mustang1

Guru
4 hours today spent cleaning my CX, de-cabling it then swapping over the stem and bars with that on my old hybrid - converted from drops to flat-bar with new cables, compatible levers and shifters - so now I'm an upright citizen - on the CX that is.
All because if a neck issue which refuses to go away and is exacerbated by riding the drops:gun:

Some may make disparaging remarks about such a move, however, to redeem myself, the roadie is staying true to its heritage and will still be used as such during the brighter months.
Nah, do what you gotta do. +1 to the photo request!

screenman

Legendary Member
I am surprised you could not get the same position on the drops as you can by swapping straights, a lot of people do though have bikes set up wrong.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am surprised you could not get the same position on the drops as you can by swapping straights, a lot of people do though have bikes set up wrong.
Having the same position on the drops as on a flat bar bike (i.e. quite upright)? How does that work? Do you mean the hoods?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've swapped the drop handle bars on a couple of mine but went to the 'Bull-horn' TT type of bar instead of 'straights' I couldn't get on with the 'tuck' extensions though so 1 has bar end brakes and downtube shifters (wide ratio cassette on that one) but the other has 10 speed Campagnolo bar end shifters (and a 'corncob' close ratio cassette) so I scratched my head about brake levers til one of the guys at Julies Cycles came up with the idea of using 'cross top' levers fitted backwards with the nipple fitted into the cable adjuster (the levers are fitted to the forward facing arms of the bullhorns)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
bar_drop_4.jpg

Surprises me how so many people think that the default position is on the drops. I reckon I use the drops for less than 5% of the time.

young Ed

Veteran
if it helps your neck, then do it! personally i couldn't bring my self to converting a drop to a flat as i just love my drops too much but if it helps you then why not? even if you do have the cycling police after you :laugh:
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom