Well washed I-pod?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
If someone wants to move this to electric cafe then feel free, I'm just asking for how best to try to dry my ipod please after I've just found it in the load of washing I've just done.

Should I put it on a radiator or leave it out at room temp? Thanks.

Night Train

Maker of Things
You can't remove the batteries in one of them can you?

Best leave it off and in a warm place to fully dry out and then hope.

Ummm, detergent could be a problem with deposits so if the battery can come out then maybe if it is already soaked then a good rinse in clean water first would help.

potsy

Rambler
Oh dear longers,could try the 'put it in a bag of rice' trick I've heard used for wet mobiles.
Top of radiator might also work,I'd wrap it in a rag or cloth 1st though.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
After my phone went through a full 30 degree cycle I removed the bits I could remove (battery etc) and popped it on top of a warm radiator. It lived to fight another two years!

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
There's nothing that can be removed from it, as far as I can see. It's a rectangular nano jobbie.
Not sure if the radiator would be too warm.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Ta Baggy. If it doesn't work, it's not your fault.
Fingers crossed. It'll be comfy, anyway.

ASC1951

Guru
Oh dear longers,could try the 'put it in a bag of rice' trick I've heard used for wet mobiles.
That certainly does work - but only if you drive every scrap of moisture out of the rice first. It needs two or three hours in a low oven, I think.

Silica gel is good, if you can get hold of it cheaply.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My last phone went into the bath a week after I got it... I left it in the airing cupboard for 2 days (took battery out though... you ca'n t do this, I see)... it was fine after ... kept it for another year.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
as it probably uses flash memory rather than a hard disk, you may well be ok with the above suggestions. i've know memory sticks and nintendo ds games emerge from washing machine and tumble drier in full working order…

Night Train

Maker of Things
It is mainly a case of drying it off so that there is no moisture causing short circuits. That is the reason for removing batteries. If the battery can't be removed then don't switch it on to see if it is ok.

Sometimes the water may contain salts or other minerals that may be deposited on any bare connections that then short out when it it dry.

Maybe the Ipod is sufficiently encapsulated that the only thing you risk losing is the headphone socket and the control panel leaving everything else ok! Not that that would help! :biggrin:

Top Bottom