Went Fixed sooner than I'd Plan!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I blame me (bad maintenance :shy: ) but the SS free hub locked up at lunch time got half a mile along the road and the free hub fell apart altogether, had to flip to the fixed side. I could leave it like that but I think I prefer the free hub in traffic and the ability to alter my speed a bit faster.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
You need to buy the best....white industries. I have one I'm intending to sell, but it's 22t.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I blame me (bad maintenance :shy: ) but the SS free hub locked up at lunch time got half a mile along the road and the free hub fell apart altogether, had to flip to the fixed side. I could leave it like that but I think I prefer the free hub in traffic and the ability to alter my speed a bit faster.

You can still alter you speed fast on fixed. Either pedal faster or stop pedaling :thumbsup::hello:

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
You can still alter you speed fast on fixed. Either pedal faster or stop pedaling :thumbsup::hello:
I'll take it for a few spins round the block tonight when traffic calms down to see if I can get used but I didn't get the feeling I liked having to anticipate traffic that bit earlier, smidsys are too random. Given how it goes tonight I think I'll try out Winstanley's Hub and a spot of wheel buildings.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Can't you get the knackered freewheel off ?

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
It takes time to get used to it but I would say fixed gives more control in most situations.
I'll go for a few test runs tonight when its quiet to see if I can get use to it but at the moment I'm prefering the free.
Can't you get the knackered freewheel off ?
It came off in my hands, I have it in my saddle bag; the cheapest option is I add it to a new free hub but that'll involve wheel building.

tyred

Legendary Member
If you have a double sided hub, I would expect the freewheel side to be a standard single speed freewheel of the time used on BMX and millions of single speed roadsters. This should unscrew, although it's probably tight. There should be slots cut in the centre to allow the use of a removal tool. It's often easiest to use a hammer and drift to unscrew them, or remove the lock-ring ring and pull the freewheel body of and grip in a vice.

djb1971

Legendary Member
The sturmey ones are good, better than the shimano ones I've had. White industries are great but more expensive. I've been running a sturmey one for miles and miles.

You can re-grease these and the shimanos. Just put grease on the gap on faceplate and push through. It pushes old grease through the rear.

Top Bottom