Went Fixed sooner than I'd Plan!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Just check that you buy the correct size for the chain, 1/8 or 3/32
I take it thats the internal diameter ?

djb1971

Legendary Member
It's the width of a chain. I think yours is an 1/8 according to the bike spec., an 1/8 will work on 3/32 chainring but it doesn't work the other way around.

Most fixed use 1/8 chains, it's the bigger bulkier chain. If your chain looks more like a chain from a geared bike it's 3/32.

I'm going to re-read the above when posted because its given me a headache typing it out!

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
It's the width of a chain. I think yours is an 1/8 according to the bike spec., an 1/8 will work on 3/32 chainring but it doesn't work the other way around.

Most fixed use 1/8 chains, it's the bigger bulkier chain. If your chain looks more like a chain from a geared bike it's 3/32.

I'm going to re-read the above when posted because its given me a headache typing it out!
Thanks again

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I think I'm going to wait a while to let the traffic rush pass, before heading home.

Just take it easy and try and anticipate junctions earlier. From a standing star getting your foot in the right position I found initially challenging but you soon learn either how to stop in the right position to start off or unweight the saddle and bring your foot to the right position. Oh and don't try and freewheel over any speed humps :wacko:

jim55

Guru
its def 1/8 chain ade ,tbh i have no issues cycling fixed most of the time ,the only time i think is a bit worrying is filtering as you are still pedalling ,and theres a kerb beside u ,nornally most people would coast and let that pedal sit at the top ,obv fixed you cant do it and your feet still rotate .
pedalling going round a corner takes a bit of getting used to as well ,but im sure ul b ok:thumbsup:

djb1971

Legendary Member
Have you got home okay?

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Well that was different :rolleyes: I went to take my shortest route and walk through the Bourges Boulevard underpass rather than the roundabout, it was closed by the Police as was the road itself :excl: I thought about the next rbt up but didnt fancy its tight bends so kept on going on straight roads and let more traffic pass and head for the next Rbt which has an OK underpass. The roads suddenly went quiet though so I headed past it to get ore used to fix and eventually doubled back to it (the next Rbt only serves access to a big toy superstore ;)). I had to give way a few times but going slow I managed to do so. When I did finally meet a rbt something was coming so giving way again that was interesting it suddenly got busy again stopped OK but pulled into the kerb just in case, it was too fast and busy to lift the rear wheel to get my foot to the right position to push off so getting going :ohmy: It was the same story at the next rbt complicated by a short sharp descent to the entry. It was slow but I made it. I might go out after tea to familiarise myself some more with fix before tomorrow rush hour.

djb1971

Legendary Member
At least you made it home in one piece!

Just take it steady and try to anticipate traffic. It's not shameful getting off and pushing or crossing the bike if you have to. Health and safety is more important than being cool. Rush hour Traffic is a sharp learning curve for fixed !

Be safe and go steady on it!

jim55

Guru
ade ,when i come to a stop with the pedal invariably in the wrong spot ,rather than try and lift the back to spin the wheel(and thus the pedal)while stopped with one foot down i just pull the front brake ,kinda put all the weight on the front tyre ,this lifts the rear wheel ,viola!!!(or b ubercool and just trackstand -i cant do it :blush:)

Top Bottom