Went Fixed sooner than I'd Plan!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I still think SS is better for traffic/ longer rides but I'm actually starting to like fixed; I took it out tonight to practice on some hills, psychologically I wouldn't even had dreamed of tackling a descent last week.

mangid

Guru
Although I'm enjoying it (fixed), I'm a wee bit worried though that I'm starting to give-way less when I see a gap! Is that normal behaviour or should I try to nip it in the bud any tips for doing so?

Not sure you should be worried, unless you've had some close shaves ... I find it far easier to ease into spaces on fixed, less thinking, brain and legs just work together, nice and smooth.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Not sure you should be worried, unless you've had some close shaves ... I find it far easier to ease into spaces on fixed, less thinking, brain and legs just work together, nice and smooth.
None as yet, the direct transmission and momentum has allowed me to easily pull away and slow for smidsy visa but the surface has always been dry and I'm a wee bit worried in the event of a greasy surface or drive failure!

mangid

Guru
None as yet, the direct transmission and momentum has allowed me to easily pull away and slow for smidsy visa but the surface has always been dry and I'm a wee bit worried in the event of a greasy surface or drive failure!

Drive failure, I had a couple, at speed, chain coming off an causing rear wheel to lock, surprisingly easy to manage, both times it was coming downhill @ > 30. Once was because the chain was loose, once because the sprocket came unscrewed (bad maintenance, lesson learnt)

Have had a chain snap once on a climb, got pushed 10 miles home ... Nowadays I use DID or Izumi track chain and haven never had a problem.

Greasy/Icy, I prefer on the fixed, you feel and catch (or the legs do) the issue far quicker.

Of course I ride fixed most of the time, so am probably biased :-)

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Drive failure, I had a couple, at speed, chain coming off an causing rear wheel to lock, surprisingly easy to manage, both times it was coming downhill @ > 30. Once was because the chain was loose, once because the sprocket came unscrewed (bad maintenance, lesson learnt)

Have had a chain snap once on a climb, got pushed 10 miles home ... Nowadays I use DID or Izumi track chain and haven never had a problem.

Greasy/Icy, I prefer on the fixed, you feel and catch (or the legs do) the issue far quicker.

Of course I ride fixed most of the time, so am probably biased :-)
What gearing are you using to get 30 mph downhill, am using 13 x 48 and i can't gey anywhere near that, mind you iam getting on a bit.^_^

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
What gearing are you using to get 30 mph downhill, am using 13 x 48 and i can't gey anywhere near that, mind you iam getting on a bit.^_^

I ride using either 48 x 18 or 48 x 16 and 30 plus downhill is easily achievable. 35 is my max which was starting to feel decidedly uncomfortable :hyper:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Although I'm enjoying it (fixed), I'm a wee bit worried though that I'm starting to give-way less when I see a gap! Is that normal behaviour or should I try to nip it in the bud any tips for doing so?

Filtering you mean :thumbsup:

Pottsy

For me, 42x16 (69.4" ) - 175rpm = 36.2mph.

It's just practice, technique and flexibility to get those rpm figures up. Plus a bit of madness. Some can do over 200rpm apparently :wacko: .

Personally my legs would detach at the knees and the bloody stumps would beat me to death over the rest of the descent.

Edit: It was a few years ago too.

Top Bottom