Went i did my first commute yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was kinda nervous but i just went anyway and honestly it was kinda nice.i passed like 2 parks on the way their and 2 parks back.there isnt alot of cycle lanes on the way back but its okay i guess i still could maybe find some other route or something, also i hate hills on the way back i was dying trying to pedal through this hill so i had to stop and push my bike for a bit for 1 hill.buy its rewarding when you go down really fast down the hill and idk if this is normal but my legs are so tired and dead lol i guess im just not used to it.but yeah it was a good commute.i did get into one altercation with a driver but it was my fault and honestly im not even embarrassed about it like i usually am.i can wait for my next commute and thanks for everyone who was supportive and gave good advice on my last thread.also on the way back my ass was bloody sore but i guess ill get used to that aswell

On the hill, use your gears. Small in the front, big cog at the rear and spin up.

Legs are not used to this level of work. Gets better after a couple if days. After 3 weeks your muscles will grow. After 3 months you will be a hardened cycle commuter.

vickster

Legendary Member
As above, your bike has lots of gears, use them as needed :okay: And slow down if tiring. How fit are you generally

Stretch your leg, butt and back muscles when you get home and have a hot bath or shower before bed. If you can manage it, go and have a half hour walk too once you get off the bike to move the muscles in a different way after cycling

As above it'll get easier, you should be fitter in time for the cold dark, wet winter conditions ;)
(if you do intend to commute through the winter, this is a good time of year to pick up winter cycling jackets with reflective trim etc at reduced prices, don't wait until October when the prices will go up :okay: )

OP
OP
T

Trekman083637

Regular
On the hill, use your gears. Small in the front, big cog at the rear and spin up.

Legs are not used to this level of work. Gets better after a couple if days. After 3 weeks your muscles will grow. After 3 months you will be a hardened cycle commuter.
Oh right,spin up?do you mean spin the pedals the other way before pedaling?yh thats true haha

OP
OP
T

Trekman083637

Regular
As above, your bike has lots of gears, use them as needed :okay: And slow down if tiring. How fit are you generally

Stretch your leg, butt and back muscles when you get home and have a hot bath or shower before bed. If you can manage it, go and have a half hour walk too once you get off the bike to move the muscles in a different way after cycling

As above it'll get easier, you should be fitter in time for the cold dark, wet winter conditions ;)
(if you do intend to commute through the winter, this is a good time of year to pick up winter cycling jackets with reflective trim etc at reduced prices, don't wait until October when the prices will go up :okay: )
I used to be very fit tbh with you but i havent moved around and done stuff in a while so i probably alot less fit.oh yeah thats good advice thanks.yeah thats true aswell i should be ready for when the winter comes

Well done. As others have said, your body will get used to the extra movement and exercise. I also find a lot of the shock is psychological as well as physical. On a new commute it feels long and hard and then gradually you find it breaking up into lots of small sections which are all fairly quick, then later you'll be nearly home before you realise it.
And of course in six months you'll have spent more on bike parts than you ever saved, and you won't be able to use your home for extra cycling accessories, but that's also normal...

Spinning is pedalling with fast revs ( more than 60rpm) and low resistance from a low gear ratio. It is easy on the legs but a tiny bit slower.

A typical newbie error is to use a gear ratio that is too high and pedal slowly with lots if force.

icowden

Veteran
I was kinda nervous but i just went anyway and honestly it was kinda nice.i passed like 2 parks on the way their and 2 parks back.there isnt alot of cycle lanes on the way back but its okay i guess i still could maybe find some other route or something, also i hate hills on the way back i was dying trying to pedal through this hill so i had to stop and push my bike for a bit for 1 hill.

If you give us a rough idea of your route, the hive mind may be able to suggest improvements. Sometime just finding a different road a bit further over can make a big difference to the amount of hillage, Sometimes it's better to go a bit further and a bit less vertical ^_^.

If you recorded on Strava you can also use Strava routes to see a heatmap that shows you where most people cycle.

vickster

Legendary Member
He's going from Leyton to Marylebone as per other thread...not sure what big hills there are going East to West (or vice versa), I thought it was all pretty flat from East to Central London following the Thames (unless it's a pesky flyover/bridge over a main road!)?

OP
OP
T

Trekman083637

Regular
Well done. As others have said, your body will get used to the extra movement and exercise. I also find a lot of the shock is psychological as well as physical. On a new commute it feels long and hard and then gradually you find it breaking up into lots of small sections which are all fairly quick, then later you'll be nearly home before you realise it.
And of course in six months you'll have spent more on bike parts than you ever saved, and you won't be able to use your home for extra cycling accessories, but that's also normal...
Thanks,yh thats true some of it can be physcological.lol wait is that really true will i just be spending money on bike accessories.because i was also trying to save money😂

OP
OP
T

Trekman083637

Regular
Spinning is pedalling with fast revs ( more than 60rpm) and low resistance from a low gear ratio. It is easy on the legs but a tiny bit slower.

A typical newbie error is to use a gear ratio that is too high and pedal slowly with lots if force.
Yeah well there you go,im a newbie lol.so what gears do i use when i on a flat surface?

OP
OP
T

Trekman083637

Regular
If you give us a rough idea of your route, the hive mind may be able to suggest improvements. Sometime just finding a different road a bit further over can make a big difference to the amount of hillage, Sometimes it's better to go a bit further and a bit less vertical ^_^.

If you recorded on Strava you can also use Strava routes to see a heatmap that shows you where most people cycle.
Yeah from leyton to marleybone i go through stratford park then go on from their

OP
OP
T

Trekman083637

Regular
He's going from Leyton to Marylebone as per other thread...not sure what big hills there are going East to West (or vice versa), I thought it was all pretty flat from East to Central London following the Thames (unless it's a pesky flyover/bridge over a main road!)?
Yeah the hills are from when im coming back from west to east but maybe i took a bad route im not too sure i just followed google maps.

Top Bottom