Went the day well?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
How was your Christmas Day?

Mine went to plan and was more enjoyable than expected.

Lunch was at a Brewer's Fayre pub/restaurant at Sutton-in-Ashfield, which I think might be in Derbyshire and is certainly just off the M1.

Location chosen because my increasingly frail and elderly mother can only stand about an hour in the car even when driven by my older brother.

This gave me a 290 mile round trip from Sunderland.

Traffic was relatively quiet, which seems to make all the difference to fatigue levels.

Three course lunch at £50 a head was excellent.

About the only fault was some of the bigger sprouts were a touch hard and could have done with a few more minutes on fast boil.

The table was nicely dressed with crackers, streamers, pointy foil hats and whistles.

I get on tolerably well with older brother and mother in small doses, which this was as mother gets over tired after a couple of hours.

Having arrived at just after noon, we were on our separate ways by about 3pm.

No presents - we stopped those years ago - but mummy did give me a couple of slices of Christmas cake and a tin of biscuits, which brother described as 'surplus to requirements' in his house.

Straightforward run home, and I'm now about to sit down and watch the latest Mary Poppins film which should be recorded if the Sky box has done its job.

So all in all, my moderate expectations of Christmas Day were exceeded.

How about you?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
All good here.

Venod

Eh up
For the first time for about 35 years we were not at home for Christmas dinner, it was the daughters this year with the cooking done by the son in law, and a fine job he made of it too, I had too much to eat the wife had too much to drink, which kept the grandchildren amused, a very enjoyable change, back home now trying to stay awake.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Nice enough, couple of walks with the dogs and a lovely and plentiful dinner. We have decided though that from now on we are going to book a meal out on Christmas day. So, starting today we are each putting two quid in a jar every week to pay for a decent blowout on Christmas day.

The cooking and washing up is such a faff, both seem to take an age.

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
How was your Christmas Day?

Mine went to plan and was more enjoyable than expected.

Lunch was at a Brewer's Fayre pub/restaurant at Sutton-in-Ashfield, which I think might be in Derbyshire and is certainly just off the M1.

Location chosen because my increasingly frail and elderly mother can only stand about an hour in the car even when driven by my older brother.

This gave me a 290 mile round trip from Sunderland.

Traffic was relatively quiet, which seems to make all the difference to fatigue levels.

Three course lunch at £50 a head was excellent.

About the only fault was some of the bigger sprouts were a touch hard and could have done with a few more minutes on fast boil.

The table was nicely dressed with crackers, streamers, pointy foil hats and whistles.

I get on tolerably well with older brother and mother in small doses, which this was as mother gets over tired after a couple of hours.

Having arrived at just after noon, we were on our separate ways by about 3pm.

No presents - we stopped those years ago - but mummy did give me a couple of slices of Christmas cake and a tin of biscuits, which brother described as 'surplus to requirements' in his house.

Straightforward run home, and I'm now about to sit down and watch the latest Mary Poppins film which should be recorded if the Sky box has done its job.

So all in all, my moderate expectations of Christmas Day were exceeded.

How about you?

Think it's in Nottinghamshire. Not that it matters. Glad your day was OK.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Pub lunch served by a girl who said "No problem" every time we thanked her. The sprouts and two pints of cask bitter are making themselves felt (or smelt) now a few hours later. Watched Brenda's speech and now relaxing by the fire reading my new En cyclo pedia, which suggests that anybody who hasn't broken a clavicle might be guilty of cowardly cycling! Yay!

Last edited:
Top Bottom