What’s Lightweight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Circa 20lbs or 10kg

As light as a durable bike can be given the age and date.
People have always attempted ultralight, often sacrificing durability. Skilled builders can shave ounces and still make it strong.
I think of ~25lbs as midweight for touring use. 18lbs is typical for later 90s bikes. 22-23 lbs is respectable lightweight of 50s-60s.

What’s definition of a classic lightweight bicycle?Thoughts and opinions?
I guess some older bikes are pretty light too, my 90s rigid MTB is 11kg. I always thought the 80s Record Ace was super light, bit not really?

OP
OP
C

CTony

Regular
What are some of your 'classic lightweights' coming out at @CTony ?
I’m not sure where to classify my bicycles.Maybe my 74 Raleigh International?but Bicycles with 26” would be considered mid weigh because of equipment used on them.What brought me to this question was.Are older Dawes bicycles considered what?Thank you everyone for your thought.

Drago

Legendary Member
What different manufacturers claim, and what the bikes actually weigh in your size and ready to ride are usually totally irreconcibale figures.

There is no universal standard in sizing so when a manufacturer quotes for a M it will not correlate exactly with anyone elses sizing.

And there is no industey standard for the actual weighing. Some quote a bike ready to ride, some sans pedals, and some without pedals, tyres, tubes, seat and even bar tape. Giant realise what a crock of sheet the whole thing is and refuse to quote weights at all, suggesting you go and see for yourself.

So, unless a bike has been on your own scales, forget it.

If it feels light and lively, its light and lively. The leg and bum dynamometer are far more relevant than any work of fiction in a catlogue. If it passes that test, and is perhaps 40 or 50 or more years old, then you're probably in the ball park.

Last edited:
Top Bottom