What’s Lightweight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I have a copy of Bicycling magazine from 1992. They test a Colnago with the then new Chorus eight speed Ergo groupset and quote the weight as 20.5 lbs. That was about the norm for a top quality steel framed race bike back then.

That equates to over 9kg which would be considered a bit of a porker in even an amateur peloton today.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
In old parlance, "lightweight" meant anything that wasn't a roadster, really.

In actual weight terms, a respectable Grand Tour bike of the 1980s could be 22-23lb, dripping with chrome, and possibly with 36 spoke wheels for reliability.

Punkawallah

Über Member
In old parlance, "lightweight" meant anything that wasn't a roadster, really.

In actual weight terms, a respectable Grand Tour bike of the 1980s could be 22-23lb, dripping with chrome, and possibly with 36 spoke wheels for reliability.

Sounds dreamy :-)

contadino

Veteran
I'm doubt that my 1980 Raleigh Record Ace is a classic lightweight, but it was 10.03kgs before I fitted touring kit 4 years ago. (I was a bit miffed that it was over 10)

Classic lightweight to me means a proper racer of the era, likely teetering around 9.5kgs

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
Back in my Father’s day, the test of “lightweight” was to lift the bike with just one finger.
There was such things as “light roadsters” built with 531 but with flat ‘bars, and even chain cases, coming in at 25-27 lb, according to old 1930’s catalogues from the likes of BSA, Phillips and so on.
I have a 1939 Elswick light roadster. I never weighed it but it's definitely lighter than bikes of it's type usually are and has 26.8mm seat post as opposed to the one inch post seat post usually found in a British roadster.

It is really nice to ride but single speed unfortunately as a few gears are really needed around here. So tempted to stick a Sturmey in it.

I'm doubt that my 1980 Raleigh Record Ace is a classic lightweight, but it was 10.03kgs before I fitted touring kit 4 years ago. (I was a bit miffed that it was over 10)

Classic lightweight to me means a proper racer of the era, likely teetering around 9.5kgs
Its a classic in my eyes, though I couldn't afford one back in the 80's on my pot washing wage ^_^
I posted some specs up on an earlier page, here's 1982 .... love that 13-18 block on the team rep ^_^

Punkawallah

Über Member
Should have gone with the Dawes - 14 - 24 block :-)

Some of the charts are a bit meaningless when you study them carefully as each bike is equipped with different components . Some have sprint rims and tyres , others have twin bottle cages , full mudguards and a carrier .
I think it may be best left up to the individual. If it feels light when you pick it up it's light, if you can't pick it up it's either heavy or you are having a bad day . :whistle:

Sharky

Guru
[/QUOTE]
that's very circa sharky - 20lbs is barely above 9kg
Yes, must admit it's a bit of a range. The 20ibs comes from what my dad used to say when he was racing on fixed. The 10kg is probably what I would look out for when comparing bikes.

I'm curious now as to what my bikes actually weigh. Will have to find my luggage weighing device and check.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Otherwise known as a 'clubman's machine. One you could tour on and race on. Usually made with better-quality tubing and components. As distinct from the roadster, with rod-brakes, chainguard or chaincase, and probably 28" wheels.

Yes, must admit it's a bit of a range. The 20ibs comes from what my dad used to say when he was racing on fixed. The 10kg is probably what I would look out for when comparing bikes.

I'm curious now as to what my bikes actually weigh. Will have to find my luggage weighing device and check.
no probs - this would seem to imply to me that apart from the superlight carbon jobbies new bikes don't seem to have much to teach the oldsters about lightweight. So they are allowed 10kg :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom