What’s stopping women cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So is your position that the reply I quoted was adding nothing?
Which reply?

ETA - I'd be surprised if that was my position. I think I would probably have said that was my position if it was my position. I'm generally fairly straightforward like that most of the time; it comes from years of living with an Aspie followed by (so far) 16annabit years of parenting one.

ETAagain - which also means you get very used to saying something and then realising that someone else has understood what you have said in a completely different way to what you intended because mind-blindness, and therefore tend to seek clarification quite a lot.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5124650, member: 10119"]Which reply?[/QUOTE]
The second paragraph of https://www.cyclechat.net/posts/5123715

So you mean
They don't need to do it because they know there will always be other men on the ride.

:wacko:
?

I'm not quite sure what I've posted that would lead you to believe that I think @jefmcg's post 'adds nothing'. It points it out that men don't need to check if there's likely to be other men on a ride, because men already know the answer. That's one reason that women are perhaps more likely to check out who is going on a ride than men are. I think it's phrased rather more brusquely than I would tend to phrase things, but, looking at the meaning rather than the tone, it seems a pretty fair point to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

jay clock

Massive member
I am in a tri -club which is now close to 50% female membership. And in the past year more female new joiners than men. And they all cycle. I see a lot of women out on the roads, although probably no more than 15% of the total.

mjr

[QUOTE 5124663, member: 10119"]
I'm not quite sure what I've posted that would lead you to believe that I think @jefmcg's post 'adds nothing'.[/quote]
That the claim:

[QUOTE 5124663, member: 10119"]
It points it out that men don't need to check if there's likely to be other men on a ride, because men already know the answer.[/QUOTE]
only applies to one specific ride and not rides in general.

And in terms of 'adding something' I do reckon that it is quite useful, when men tell women what women think, and feel, and the reasons that women do or don't do things, that if you are a woman who disagrees with what you are being told you think, and feel, and the reasons that you do or don't do things to say so. And maybe, just maybe, it would be good manners for the men to listen to the women explaining what they think, and feel, and the reasons that they do or don't do things rather than just telling them that they are wrong?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
[QUOTE 5124695, member: 10119"]And in terms of 'adding something' I do reckon that it is quite useful, when men tell women what women think, and feel, and the reasons that women do or don't do things, that if you are a woman who disagrees with what you are being told you think, and feel, and the reasons that you do or don't do things to say so. And maybe, just maybe, it would be good manners for the men to listen to the women explaining what they think, and feel, and the reasons that they do or don't do things rather than just telling them that they are wrong?[/QUOTE]

Fair point. All men (including me) need to delete their post(s) in this thread, forthwith. ;)

only applies to one specific ride and not rides in general.
I probably see at least a dozen club ride if I go out on a Sunday. It's not uncommon to see all men in a group, but I don't think I've ever noticed an all female group.

Even if there was a hypothetical club that was mostly women, you still wouldn't find men getting online to see if other men would be there. Men who were uncomfortable being the only man, would just join the next club up the road, which is likely to be 80% male.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Did you notice that @User9609 missed the "gatherer" part out entirely. In his version, the men were all out hunting and "providing" while the women sat at home eating paleo-bon bons.
To be fair... this is what i was told at school and if i recall correctly, is how it was depicted in my Labybird early readers book of prehistoric life. I imagine many people still retain this 'vision' of prehistory since it was forged in their minds at a rather young age.
I'm lucky... i recently watched a documentary on prehistoric life which painted a picture in which younger adults (parents) did the hunting, gathering and foraging whilst older adults (grandparents) minded the children and probably kept an eye on the stew too.
I presume there's a lot of assumptions with regards to prehistoric life since we can't actually know who did what on a day-to-day basis... but the modern assumption makes more sense (to me anyway) than the old male-centric one depicted in my Ladybird book.

mjr

[QUOTE 5124690, member: 10119"]By that logic, @Pale Rider's post 'adds nothing' (and every other post that recounts one individidual's experience/views/opinions, or those of their wife) yet you don't seem to find that one (or those ones) objectionable?[/QUOTE]
I have objected to some other posts in this thread by using the "Report" link like @Moderators are always asking us to. Ask them why those posts remain if it bothers you. Of course, this leaves me open to this sort of accusation, but that problem's been discussed in other threads during the last few months.

Nice side-stepping of whether PR's post justifies the reply as I thought you were claiming (but the above suggests you aren't), or whether (as I thought) the reply was seeking to make a point about all rides.

Top Bottom