What’s stopping women cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahale

Über Member
[QUOTE 5124284, member: 10119"]@sarahale - I can't 'like' that, but yeah....
View attachment 392607

I'm fat, ginger and speccy so have been on the receiving end of verbal abuse as long as I can remember and despite being fat, ginger and speccy I still get, occasionally, the kind of sexualised verbal abuse you talk about when riding my bike. Very occasionally these days, because I don't ride that much! However I'm not sure that it's worse than when walking or using public transport - and it's the sort of thing that would discourage women who have cycled and experienced it rather be off-putting to those who don't cycle. I suspect that, as you say, it is only one part of the problem.[/QUOTE]

I've never had more than a beep from the odd van when walking but that's not to say it doesn't happen, just for me personally I seem to be far more of a target on my bike.

There are a couple of ladies at work who live very close and wish to cycle but don't. I think one just can't be bothered and the other is too worried about the roads. So lots of different reasons I just went on a bit as its beginning to put me off.

They want to change the name of hunter gatherers to foragers as they suggest most food cane from foraging equally of men and women wher as hunting was mainly ceremonial and played a very small part of calories consumed.
Did you notice that @User9609 missed the "gatherer" part out entirely. In his version, the men were all out hunting and "providing" while the women sat at home eating paleo-bon bons.

bpsmith

Veteran
[QUOTE 5124304, member: 10119"]Sorry - I don't actually know what you mean. Any chance you could expand on this?

(and please note, just in case - I'm not having a pop or anything. Whenever I say 'I don't understand, please explain' I really do mean exactly that, and am trying to understand what someone is saying rather than assume)[/QUOTE]
Absolutely.

The couple of posts further up about having your bums slapped, car full of Men shouting with threatening behaviour, etc.

I find that beyond acceptable behaviour. Apologies if I didn’t convey that.

Absolutely.

The couple of posts further up about having your bums slapped, car full of Men shouting with threatening behaviour, etc.

I find that beyond acceptable behaviour. Apologies if I didn’t convey that.
Gotcha.

Yup, it happens and yup, it is absolutely s**t - when cycling, as it it is all the other times and places that it happens.

bpsmith

Veteran
[QUOTE 5124333, member: 10119"]Gotcha.

Yup, it happens and yup, it is absolutely s**t - when cycling, as it it is all the other times and places that it happens.[/QUOTE]
True.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Same with running. Less female runners. :sad:
That’s certainly not the case from my observations.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It all depends on whether or not you think being able to sweep a street or empty a dustbin is actually a valid measure of anything remotely valuable in this discussion - this discussion of why more women don't cycle.

Some of the reasons more women don't cycle are exactly the same reasons why more women aren't willing to do certain kinds of jobs. It's an entirely valid comparison. If an activity is perceived as unfeminine, many women will avoid participating in it. Vigorous cycling in particular is not something that appeals to a lot of women.
Certain other reasons, such as the abuse and perceived danger from attackers, unfortunately are down to the minority of men who don't have any respect for women. Unfortunately that small male minority are not going to disappear, so it comes down to a choice of give back as good as you get or let the disrespecters claim victory.
The fact that women will tend to avoid confrontation by not doing an activity where they may receive abuse, whereas a man receiving abuse will likely end up having a ruck with the abuser, just highlights the very real differences between the sexes.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 5124333, member: 10119"]Gotcha.

Yup, it happens and yup, it is absolutely s**t - when cycling, as it it is all the other times and places that it happens.[/QUOTE]
Some forms of abuse and threatening behaviour happens to men and mostly but not exclusively by men. There is an element in society that need to get it’s kicks humiliating/scaring or venting their inadequacies at people they percieve as vunerable. Women they probably see as the easiest targets, it’s bullying pure and simple.
What men don’t get to face is the sexual bullying which must be far more pervasive, everyday, and threatening.

How do we change this in respect to cycling?

Last edited:
Some forms of abuse and threatening behaviour happens to men and mostly but not exclusively by men. There is an element in society that need to get it’s kicks humiliating/scaring or venting their inadequacies at people they percieve as vunerable. Women they probably see as the easiest targets, it’s bullying pure and simple.
What men don’t get to face is the sexual bullying which must be far more pervasive, everyday, and threatening.

How do we change this in respect to cycling?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruBqetaMd5g

Top Bottom