What’s stopping women cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I remember when I lived in France, taking a woman I fancied for a day bouldering at Fontainebleau. She enjoyed the physical exercise and the new experience but said afterwards that at first she had felt inhibited about stretching out her arms and legs and holding poses that she thought "pas feminines" but soon forgot that and got into the swing of the scrambling route we followed, marked over the boulders.

"taking a woman I fancied", are you allowed to say that?

vickster

Legendary Member
"taking a woman I fancied", are you allowed to say that?
I think his sentence is missing a bunch of commas!?

On the way we treat children differently - in ways that will have long term impacts on their long term abilities in spatial awareness and their emotional intelligence - from when they are tiny pre-verbal babies based on the gender that we perceive them to be:

The toys children play with have an impact not only on how they see themselves and on what skills they learn, but also on how their brains physically develop.
Some psychologists argue that this helps to explain why certain professions are so male-dominated. An increasing number of parents and carers now say they try to avoid gender-stereotyped play.
As this experiment shows, though, it’s not always easy to overcome your own prejudices.
From the following - which includes a 3 minute extract from a fairly interesting documentary
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/magazine-40936719/gender-specific-toys-do-you-stereotype-children

Regarding pay
View attachment 392570

https://visual.ons.gov.uk/what-is-the-gender-pay-gap/

Although I am struggling to find evidence of how that translates into diposable income rather than earnings. Might I be permitted one item of anecdata? When I was in a relationship, my then partner contributed into a shared household account a sum which was used for household expenses including the mortgage and bills and so on. The sum he contributed was greater than my total earnings. The sum he kept in his account for him to choose what to do with (and in fairness this did occasionally include things like new furniture or an overpayment on the mortgage - when he chose to do so) also exceeded, by even more, my total earnings. Every penny I earned got spent - mostly on childcare, child-related expenses, household expenses, shopping, and what was left as my disposable income.

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 5124045, member: 10119"]Regarding pay
View attachment 392570

https://visual.ons.gov.uk/what-is-the-gender-pay-gap/

Although I am struggling to find evidence of how that translates into diposable income rather than earnings. Might I be permitted one item of anecdata? When I was in a relationship, my then partner contributed into a shared household account a sum which was used for household expenses including the mortgage and bills and so on. The sum he contributed was greater than my total earnings. The sum he kept in his account for him to choose what to do with (and in fairness this did occasionally include things like new furniture or an overpayment on the mortgage - when he chose to do so) also exceeded, by even more, my total earnings. Every penny I earned got spent - mostly on childcare, child-related expenses, household expenses, shopping, and what was left as my disposable income.[/QUOTE]
As I said we're all different, but I have always been the bigger earner and the money just goes in the pot. There's no hers and his, it's there for whoever needs it.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
sarahale said:
, Sexual harassment is a huge problem, I'm even a target in winter when wearing very unattractive waterproof clothing which suggests they just do it because they think it's acceptable. And hilarious.
Have seen and heard this quite a lot in one club i used to ride with, The guy was reported a few times. but no action was ever taken as he was a long time member. The club i ride with now i still hear the odd condescending comment, but most of the time the girls give it back,

Last edited by a moderator:
qaVbA_s-200x150.gif

Globalti

Legendary Member
As recently as 1971 when we moved from rural Oxfordshire to Newcastle upon Tyne, my sister and I were enrolled at Gosforth High School. On the first day we cycled the three miles to school as always but my sister arriving on a bicycle caused a scandal amongst the other pupils. She was so upset by the reaction that she never rode her bike again.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Serious question; Is it never acceptable to call women, girls? Wrongly probs, I would for example speak of boys and girls in conversation as in with people in the office ‘how are we today boys and girls’. Refering to a group of men I would in most cases refer to them as boys if it were people I was familiar with.

PK99

Legendary Member
As I said we're all different, but I have always been the bigger earner and the money just goes in the pot. There's no hers and his, it's there for whoever needs it.

Same here, from when we started living together we had a joint account into which salaries were paid and no individual accounts.

At various stages we have both been the "bigger earner", there has never been an issue.

screenman

Legendary Member
When we got married all our money went into a pot, Pam though had thirty years of being unpaid, and by the time she started earning the system had changed.^_^

Last edited:
I did eventually track down this... https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2017/07/average-disposable-income-uk-falls-100/ from July last year, no idea how rigorous the survey in question was of course!
Meanwhile, men still have a larger disposable income with £370 a month to spare, or 28 per cent more than women who have just £288 left in their accounts after paying bills.

However, this gap is a slight improvement on last year, when the average disposable income for men was 32 per cent more than women.

Serious question; Is it never acceptable to call women, girls? Wrongly probs, I would for example speak of boys and girls in conversation as in with people in the office ‘how are we today boys and girls’. Refering to a group of men I would in most cases refer to them as boys if it were people I was familiar with.
I'd try not to use it if I was you. I know a lot of women don't mind, but I think they should. Infantilising women and valuing youth and beauty above any other assets seems tied up in that word.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
[QUOTE 5124055, member: 9609"]is the simple answer not just men are different to women ? .[/QUOTE]

Men are very different from women, always have been, and always will be. The PC brigade with all their trendy gender neutral crap are deluding themselves if they think it will make one iota of difference. It won't. The differences are there to see from an early age; little boys tend to be more manic and boisterous and little girls more docile and affectionate. That's just the way nature makes them.
Many women regard strenuous exercise or doing anything that involves getting hot and sweaty or really filthy as unfeminine, and they avoid certain activities or types of jobs for this reason. How many women do you see digging holes in the road or working on a dustcart? Virtually none - and the main reason, aside from the physical ability aspect, is that this sort of thing just doesn't appeal to many women. Likewise, you won't find very many men who want to do the sort of "caring" jobs that involve wiping other people's backsides for them. It's always been that way, and always will be that way.

Top Bottom