What’s stopping women cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
From my SO's perspective it's probably seen as
A) dangerous
B) cant be seen as having fun
C) too difficult
D) too expensive

In the order of d, b, c a.

sarahale

Über Member
Ride spoilers for me are lewd comments, angry car drivers, other cyclists riding aggressively, rudeness and patronising 'haven't you done well' comment near the end of every sportive...when I overtake them.

Sexual harassment is a huge problem, I'm even a target in winter when wearing very unattractive waterproof clothing which suggests they just do it because they think it's acceptable. And hilarious.

I do wonder whether other men feel like this and then don’t say hello, and the women then find us rude and unwelcoming?
Do think about it. I can't imagine any woman cares that a strange man didn't greet her. A woman cycling (or running) on her own probably is doing because they want to be on their own. If women are coming to a club, then address them as human beings. You'll be fine.

swansonj

Guru
The following is something that's been in my mind as this thread has progressed.

I quite often pootle on my touring bike up Box Hill and am invariably overtaken by multiple road cyclists both M and F though there are always more M than F. I'm fairly sure, on average, the men look more all-out, pushing themselves to the limit, arrive at the top in a state of collapse, needing recovery time before joining the tea shop queue. The women look more self contained, smooth, elegant even, apparently staying within their limits.

Is that because men (or the subset of men who select Box Hill for their ride) are more likely to push themselves closer to their limit? Is it because men care less about appearing exhausted? Is it that some men actually get a boost from ostentatiously flaunting how strenuous they are being? Is it that women feel they have to try harder not to show (perceived) physical weakness in male-dominated company?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 5123714, member: 10119"]
As an aside, can I ask you to reflect on a use of language thing? Would you say that men who dress in sports-specific clothing are 'parading themselves around the road' or are they just riding their bikes? Also, female is generally adjectival, the relevant noun is women. The use of female(s) as a noun when referring to women is a linguistic trait that is extremely common in many of the less pleasant corners of the internet, in particular those inhabited by some distinctly unpleasant MRAs. A couple of explanations of why it can be somewhat irritating:
https://jezebel.com/the-problem-with-calling-women-females-1683808274
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/joshua-adams/female-is-an-adjective-not-a-noun_b_9604844.html[/QUOTE]
Point taken.
I did struggle when I posted whether it should be women or females...and hedged my bets. I am more learned now....

vickster

Legendary Member
The following is something that's been in my mind as this thread has progressed.

I quite often pootle on my touring bike up Box Hill and am invariably overtaken by multiple road cyclists both M and F though there are always more M than F. I'm fairly sure, on average, the men look more all-out, pushing themselves to the limit, arrive at the top in a state of collapse, needing recovery time before joining the tea shop queue. The women look more self contained, smooth, elegant even, apparently staying within their limits.

Is that because men (or the subset of men who select Box Hill for their ride) are more likely to push themselves closer to their limit? Is it because men care less about appearing exhausted? Is it that some men actually get a boost from ostentatiously flaunting how strenuous they are being? Is it that women feel they have to try harder not to show (perceived) physical weakness in male-dominated company?
You've obviously never seen me after I've dragged myself up Box Hill :laugh:

The rest of your post...errr wtf?

byegad

Legendary Member
I see quite a few different women around the lanes I use, I'd guess that they represent approximately 30% of all the cyclists I see and some ride alone, others in single sex groups and a few in mixed sex groups.

Lady Byegad used to ride with me sometimes, and her main reasons for not doing so varied from time of the month to her hair having just been done. That said she'd not go alone, more from a fear of a breakdown or puncture than anything else. I'd class her as an occasional cyclist, not a regular cyclist.

bpsmith

Veteran
Do think about it. I can't imagine any woman cares that a strange man didn't greet her. A woman cycling (or running) on her own probably is doing because they want to be on their own. If women are coming to a club, then address them as human beings. You'll be fine.
That’s how I am when I stop and talk.

My point is that some of us men tend to overthink things and then come across worse as a result. :sad:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've suggested to my wife that she buys a bicycle on a number of occasions - I can't think of much better than going out on long weekend rides with her. Unfortunately she recognises the fact that she's super clumsy and would very likely hurt herself despite me trying to convince her otherwise. Sadly I think she's probably right on this one - We've never had to sell a car she's owned, they've all been scrapped or written off so there's no reason to think bicycles under her stewardship would fair any better :laugh:

In this case it can't be put down to being nervous of people seeing or commenting as she goes running in lycra and even stops off at the pub occasionally on her way back. That's not to say she doesnt get comments directed at her; I've witnessed a few unfortunates run off with their tales between their legs after foolishly offering her their opinions :laugh: She's a scary lady :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5123714, member: 10119"]No, it isn't acceptable. It's quite refreshing to see a bloke comment on finding it unwelcome - a very common response in such discussions that I've seen in the past is the 'well, I didn't mind' trope. Bear in mind too that it happens a LOT to many women, and mostly not when they are in the company on men so most men don't 'see' how prevalent catcalling is.

As an aside, can I ask you to reflect on a use of language thing? Would you say that men who dress in sports-specific clothing are 'parading themselves around the road' or are they just riding their bikes? Also, female is generally adjectival, the relevant noun is women. The use of female(s) as a noun when referring to women is a linguistic trait that is extremely common in many of the less pleasant corners of the internet, in particular those inhabited by some distinctly unpleasant MRAs. A couple of explanations of why it can be somewhat irritating:
https://jezebel.com/the-problem-with-calling-women-females-1683808274
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/joshua-adams/female-is-an-adjective-not-a-noun_b_9604844.html[/QUOTE]

Gawd blimey guv, now there's a question.

Attractive women in tight fitting Lycra are not parading themselves around. They're entitled to wear it, just the same way I do. Yes, I'm a red blooded male and women can look very nice like that, but I don't perv at them or call them ribald names as they go by.

I don't know if I'm a bit less atypical in this regard because I have 4 daughters perhaps?

Apologies if use of the word female was insulting in any way. I've been told off by some non-male members before for using the terms ladies and women, and I'm running out of words to describe them that don't upset someone somewhere. XX chromosome bearers, perhaps?

FishFright

More wheels than sense

Do you find it amusing or saddening watching middle aged men earnestly discussing what wrong with your gender when it comes to cycling while desperately trying not to appear to be doing that ?

swansonj

Guru

Do you find it amusing or saddening watching middle aged men earnestly discussing what wrong with your gender when it comes to cycling while desperately trying not to appear to be doing that ?
I apologise if I failed to express myself clearly - or, equally, if I expressed myself only too clearly and thereby revealed that I am not as far down the road of freeing myself from my chauvinistic instincts as I would like to be.

What I was musing around is this.
I believe that the present rise of road cycling culture, welcome in many ways, can lead to an image that cycling is a serious sport, only for people wanting to put themselves through serious exertion and probably pain.

I was wondering to what extent this impression is created by men rather than women, and to what extent it is more offputting to women than to men.

I recognise that I am not free enough from my own prejudices to come with a neutral answer to those questions on my own.

Top Bottom