What’s stopping women cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The differences are there to see from an early age; little boys tend to be more manic and boisterous and little girls more docile and affectionate. That's just the way nature makes them.

Did you check out that video upthread about the way that people treat babies differently depending on what they (as it turns out, incorrectly) perceive their gender to be? It's quite interesting.

vickster

Legendary Member
Men are very different from women, always have been, and always will be. The PC brigade with all their trendy gender neutral crap are deluding themselves if they think it will make one iota of difference. It won't. The differences are there to see from an early age; little boys tend to be more manic and boisterous and little girls more docile and affectionate. That's just the way nature makes them.
Many women regard strenuous exercise or doing anything that involves getting hot and sweaty or really filthy as unfeminine, and they avoid certain activities or types of jobs for this reason. How many women do you see digging holes in the road or working on a dustcart? Virtually none - and the main reason, aside from the physical ability aspect, is that this sort of thing just doesn't appeal to many women. Likewise, you won't find very many men who want to do the sort of "caring" jobs that involve wiping other people's backsides for them. It's always been that way, and always will be that way.
Try going to Myanmar. Then you'll see lots of women doing just the jobs you describe

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Try going to Myanmar. Then you'll see lots of women doing just the jobs you describe

That may be because in Myanmar, opportunities for other jobs (for women) are more limited?

I have for example noticed that in some countries (Spain, UAE, and Ukraine, to name three) it is much more common to see women doing, for example, street cleaning jobs, than it is in UK. Not sure however that that implies greater degree of equality?

Julia9054

Guru
Men are very different from women, always have been, and always will be. The PC brigade with all their trendy gender neutral crap are deluding themselves if they think it will make one iota of difference. It won't. The differences are there to see from an early age; little boys tend to be more manic and boisterous and little girls more docile and affectionate. That's just the way nature makes them.
Many women regard strenuous exercise or doing anything that involves getting hot and sweaty or really filthy as unfeminine, and they avoid certain activities or types of jobs for this reason. How many women do you see digging holes in the road or working on a dustcart? Virtually none - and the main reason, aside from the physical ability aspect, is that this sort of thing just doesn't appeal to many women. Likewise, you won't find very many men who want to do the sort of "caring" jobs that involve wiping other people's backsides for them. It's always been that way, and always will be that way.
You do realise that everyone is on a bell curve in terms of typical "feminine" and "masculine" qualities. If you feel that you can disentange nature from nurture, you must share your insights - I'm sure the scientific community would be interested to know.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

The difference between the developed West, and the rest of the planet, is that there is a far bigger element of choice in the West, which results in jobs being done on a preference-oriented basis. In poor countries, it's a matter of survival, not choice.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
The difference between the developed West, and the rest of the planet, is that there is a far bigger element of choice in the West, which results in jobs being done on a preference-oriented basis. In poor countries, it's a matter of survival, not choice.
My point exactly, more subtly put. ;)

sarahale

Über Member
The club i ride with now i still hear the odd condescending comment, but most of the time the girls give it back,

I just wish to ride my bike and not have to worry. How many men on here have had their bums slapped? Have had a member of the opposite sex expose their genitals to them when they were alone at night. Have had someone tell them they will have their way with you without your consent when you were alone in an underpass. These have all happened to me and I've actually been flashed twice. I cycle alone 99% of the time and I'm very small so guessing look like a nice weak target. Most recently I was cycling into town, completely minding my own business not even on the road as it's a segregated cycle lane, and a car with 4 grown boys in pulled alongside me and started yelling 'would I do them?' And then when I didn't acknowledge them one of them said 'she's minging anyway' absolutely hilarious I'm sure you'll all agree but could feel everyone's eyes on me as they had slowed down and traffic built up behind them. Doesn't exactly make you feel great to be on the receiving end of that.

It's not the whole problem but it's the most worrying for me. Why do these pathetic people think they can just say what they want?

Julia9054

Guru
I just wish to ride my bike and not have to worry. How many men on here have had their bums slapped? Have had a member of the opposite sex expose their genitals to them when they were alone at night. Have had someone tell them they will have their way with you without your consent when you were alone in an underpass. These have all happened to me and I've actually been flashed twice. I cycle alone 99% of the time and I'm very small so guessing look like a nice weak target. Most recently I was cycling into town, completely minding my own business not even on the road as it's a segregated cycle lane, and a car with 4 grown boys in pulled alongside me and started yelling 'would I do them?' And then when I didn't acknowledge them one of them said 'she's minging anyway' absolutely hilarious I'm sure you'll all agree but could feel everyone's eyes on me as they had slowed down and traffic built up behind them. Doesn't exactly make you feel great to be on the receiving end of that.

It's not the whole problem but it's the most worrying for me. Why do these pathetic people think they can just say what they want?
Sadly fairly unremarkable in every way

[QUOTE 5124055, member: 9609"]is the simple answer not just men are different to women ? Our species seemed to take an evolutionary route of men doing the hunting and providing and women the caring and raising children, sport just seems to be some sort of extension of the hunting bit, hence why more men participate.
It's wonderful the way our society is developing where we can more easily interchange roles and hopefully a more neutral gender based upbringing will allow us all to better tailor our lifestyles to our hearts, however I think our basic nature will always determine sport is a bigger thing for men.[/QUOTE]
They want to change the name of hunter gatherers to foragers as they suggest most food cane from foraging equally of men and women wher as hunting was mainly ceremonial and played a very small part of calories consumed.

@sarahale - I can't 'like' that, but yeah....
View attachment 392607

I'm fat, ginger and speccy so have been on the receiving end of verbal abuse as long as I can remember and despite being fat, ginger and speccy I still get, occasionally, the kind of sexualised verbal abuse you talk about when riding my bike. Very occasionally these days, because I don't ride that much! However I'm not sure that it's worse than when walking or using public transport - and it's the sort of thing that would discourage women who have cycled and experienced it rather be off-putting to those who don't cycle. I suspect that, as you say, it is only one part of the problem.

Top Bottom