What. A. Day.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
I have to vent. Mostly at my own stupidity.

I thought I'd aim for my first 50 mile run today, Liverpool to Blackpool to visit my family. Weather was looking good, new panniers fitted, go go go!

15 miles in the route I'd planned started taking me down some canal paths which was fine. I didn't mind taking it slow, especially considering it was almost twice as far as I've cycled in one go before. The terrin started getting worse (Liverpool/Leeds canal I think) and I started looking for routes back on to an A road. Just as I'd worked out where I was supposed to go I had my first proper off, back wheel caught some mud, slipped and then bounced into the edge of the very narrow carved out track and off I went.

Right into the fecking canal!

iPhone 6 in my back pocket (now in a bag of rice with many prayers being spoken) 3 inch gash in my hand which has since been glued up and a level of embarrassment I just didn't kmow was possible! Alas, I manned up and cycled the rest of the way anyway, cussing myself and dripping blood all over the handlebars.

Remind me why we do this to ourselves?!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I have to vent. Mostly at my own stupidity.

I thought I'd aim for my first 50 mile run today, Liverpool to Blackpool to visit my family. Weather was looking good, new panniers fitted, go go go!

15 miles in the route I'd planned started taking me down some canal paths which was fine. I didn't mind taking it slow, especially considering it was almost twice as far as I've cycled in one go before. The terrin started getting worse (Liverpool/Leeds canal I think) and I started looking for routes back on to an A road. Just as I'd worked out where I was supposed to go I had my first proper off, back wheel caught some mud, slipped and then bounced into the edge of the very narrow carved out track and off I went.

Right into the fecking canal!

iPhone 6 in my back pocket (now in a bag of rice with many prayers being spoken) 3 inch gash in my hand which has since been glued up and a level of embarrassment I just didn't kmow was possible! Alas, I manned up and cycled the rest of the way anyway, cussing myself and dripping blood all over the handlebars.

Remind me why we do this to ourselves?!
I reckon many of us have feared ending up in the canal, you, sir, have dared it! Kudos for getting back on the bike and pedal-cursing your way onward, like those pros who fall off mountainsides and get back on the bike. Have you thought of red handlebar tape?

Unlucky. The normal answer here would be "because it's fun" but that doesn't really stack up against your day. Silica gel sachets if you have any would be better for the iphone and i hope your hand gws. Full rule 5 compliance though.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Get well soon and all that :hugs:
Yeahbut, why did you not seek medical help after the tumble?
What was the point of finishing the ride? Were you not dripping wet and cold?
If the terrain was so bad near the water, would it not have been prudent to dismount and walk a bit? :scratch:

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
If the terrain was so bad near the water, would it not have been prudent to dismount and walk a bit? :scratch:

Because to work out were the nearest medical centre as more difficult than continuing.

Fortunately, sunny day and Lycra!

Yes...

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
sorry to hear of your misfortune....
but
I'm having a beer at the moment and this "Right into the fecking canal" made me nearly choke on it....beer and chuckling not an easy combination .....:okay:

I'm pretty impressed that my primary school training of being thrown into the pool with pyjamas on kicked in!

I really can't but laugh. Followed by a swift bout of humiliation, then more laughing.

The worst was in a&e when the nurse shouted through "THIS LADS FALLEN OFF HIS BIKE INTO A CANAL, HAH! RECKON HE NEEDS A TETANUS?"

What happened to bedside manner.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Captain fecking hindsight strikes

ScotiaLass

Guru
Oh no! I dread landing in the canal (I cycle along them all the time!). Glad you got out okay but not good about your hand.
Hope you're feeling better now!
:hugs:

Top Bottom