What a pleasure......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think it was around £1200, but to be fair it was still a decent club
I'm getting confused now. That's the price of a golf club, yes? Kookas asked whether that was the going rate for a cycling club.

Kookas

Über Member
I'm getting confused now. That's the price of a golf club, yes? Kookas asked whether that was the going rate for a cycling club.

Oops, my bad. I thought he meant cycling clubs! It was the comparison of the price of the bikes to the cost of club membership that caught me out there.

lejogger

Guru
I'm in the unfortunate position to be a keen cyclist AND golfer!
Probably the two most expensive and time consuming hobbies you could choose :/

My golf membership costs me £1100 a year plus paying comp fees, balls, clubs clothing etc.

My cycling club fees cost me £20 a year plus bikes, general maintenance costs, clothing etc.

My golf comps take up 4+ hours of playing plus a pint in the bar on a Saturday and my cycling (club riding not commuting) takes up maybe 5-6 hours on a Sunday plus cafe time.

400bhp

Guru
I'm in the unfortunate position to be a keen cyclist AND golfer!
Probably the two most expensive and time consuming hobbies you could choose :/

My golf membership costs me £1100 a year plus paying comp fees, balls, clubs clothing etc.

My cycling club fees cost me £20 a year plus bikes, general maintenance costs, clothing etc.

My golf comps take up 4+ hours of playing plus a pint in the bar on a Saturday and my cycling (club riding not commuting) takes up maybe 5-6 hours on a Sunday plus cafe time.

Not by a long stretch.

lejogger

Guru
Not by a long stretch.
Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but it's what the family tell me anyway!! - I suppose Motorsport takes you all over the country and takes up most of the weekend doesn't it?

400bhp

Guru
Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but it's what the family tell me anyway!! - I suppose Motorsport takes you all over the country and takes up most of the weekend doesn't it?

It does - if you're not racing you're fettling.:tired: There's always something needs looking at/changing/upgrading. There's a lot to read up on too (both in terms of the car, the rules and regs for racing/safety).

I part own the car with a mate but he now lives in Hong Kong, which (thankfully:sweat:) means the car is now semi-permanently retired.

I can't afford the time or the money to do it on my own and am pretty glad to be out of it. Although the adrenalin rush of proper racing is pretty special.

The avatar is a bit of a reality check to stop me dreaming of returning.

OP
OP
Stephen brown

Stephen brown

I part own the car with a mate but he now lives in Hong Kong, which (thankfully:sweat:) means the car is now semi-permanently retired.

I know that feeling too, I also owned 50% of a Westfield track day car, which whilst no where near the expense level of a race day car still costs plenty of money to run, can't say I was disappointed when we decided to sell it, that said we now share a Jimny which we are unsure if we should thrown a snorkel on it and go green Laning and off roading or just sell it on for hopefully a profit

Mark Twain, a talented writer and a dear friend, once said to me as we raced our golf carts across the links, "Boris, my dear friend, I have always thought cycling a good ride spoiled".

As I lacked his wit, the enormity of this comment passed high above my limited intellect. Sadly, with the passing of the years the comment was altered by the poisoned minds of revisionist historians. The change was quite out of keeping with dear Mark's true thoughts on the matter.

Dear, dear mark Twain. How he and I loved our golf and our mint juleps. How he detested the lycra and the gaunt, starved faces and the energy-gel arrogance of the aero-helmetted time trialist. "Ghastly people, Boris" he once said to me "But what can one do?"

What, indeed, can one do?

redcard

Veteran
Golf, a good hovercraft ride spoiled.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371420110.240798.jpg

OP
OP
Stephen brown

Stephen brown

Went to Maldon today along the toe path and somehow lost a Cleat screw which is not ideal with walkers, dogs, river and barbed wire everywhere and unclipping became a nightmare

So we popped into Maldon town centre and stopped at the first bike shop which did not have any, however a customer gave me his mobile number and said if I did not get fixed up I could pop round his house and he would give me a spare, however we popped into Riverside cycles and was given one and they would not accept any payment

I know its a small item, however 2 more kind gestures from cyclists

Also highly recommend the the cafe/burger bar at Heybridge basin

Top Bottom