What about Cube Bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tiswas-steve

Über Member
I'm about 5,8ft and I tried a 56 in the shop but it was a wee bit too big for me comfort wise so I went for the 53 which is funny enough a wee bit too small but I can tinker with a smaller frame regarding seat,stem, handlebars etc .
I reckon a 56 should be perfect for you Mate.

mhk1058

Regular
Thanks, yes, it certainly feels about right even after limited mileage so far. Sounds like you got the right one, as you say a tad small can always be compensated for with saddle position etc. In fact I've noticed a lot of riders these days (even pros) seem to ride a frame that traditional thought would suggest is 'too small'.

List is £1,849, the Pro is £1,450 & the same frame, just slightly lower spec on groupset/wheels etc. I got a few bob off/bottle carrier thrown in but nothing significant. You may get lucky and get a 2011 model a bit cheaper when the 2012 models hit the shops but I'd bet the bikes will be a fair bit more expensive next year.

If i was you mate i would snap it up, i paid the same for my GTC PRO at my LBS(J.E. James) and it is fantastic. The guy down there said that they had sold out and next years model is likely to be £500 more expensive.

As others have said Cube bikes are very impressive, one thing i have noticed is how responsive it is when climbing hills, ALMOST effortless!

mhk1058

Regular
As others have said Cube bikes are very impressive, one thing i have noticed is how responsive it is when climbing hills, ALMOST effortless!

Couldn't agree more (is that a pun!!) , I've been off a bike for a few years and was a little worried on my first ride out as we live at the top of quite a steep hill - needn't have been, stomped up it.

rsvdaz

just joined the Cube club...picked up an agree GTC pro compact this afternoon..just done a quick 20miler..and 'kin love it
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

makes my secteur triple feel agricultural in comparison..looks absolutely gorgeous

just a couple of things .the seat is sharp
ohmy.gif
..anyone changed it yet? and how do you keep the bar tape white..mines already grubby near the hoods..will post some pics in the show us ur carbon threadon sunday as got a wedding to go to saturday

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 44
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 41
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 43

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Welcome to the club rs !! Glad your enjoying the Cube, as regarding the seat, reading on here most peeps have changed it but I'm just giving it time to settle in ( 6 weeks so far ) Now .... The bar tape ... Man alive did it bug me too that after the first ride or so it got grubby, a lot of threads on here about cleaning them with baby wipes, pledge,WD40 etc I found that pledge does work ok but not perfect, I also read reports that Fizik microtek tape stays clean for quite a time also.
Anyway, get out, enjoy and safe riding on ya beastie ;-)

mhk1058

Regular
Yep, tape getting grubby already but don't have an answer I'm afraid. The seat was a bit uncomfortable but on checking it was a bit off horizontal- nose up. Gradually adjusted and it's now just a fraction nose down and seems to be fine but I guess posteriors are all different :-)

mhk1058

Regular
200 miles on the clock... What a bike, bloody marvellous.

With regard to the bar tape, I'd certainly give WD40 a miss but I've found an old (but clean) towel dampened with white spirit is pretty effective.

tiswas-steve

Über Member
200 miles on the clock... What a bike, bloody marvellous.

With regard to the bar tape, I'd certainly give WD40 a miss but I've found an old (but clean) towel dampened with white spirit is pretty effective.

Glad to hear ur loving the Cube mhk, I took mine in for its first service a couple of weeks ago, was chatting to the guys at cyclesurgery and they recommended specialized bar tape so I just got them to fit a new one while I was there. Initial reactions are yea, tape seems easier to keep clean than the stock Cube tape.

I was going to get either this bike (gtc pro, not the race version) or the scott cr1 comp. The cr1 is £100 more but I preferred the style of it and it has higher gearing. Havent got the bike yet but how would the cr1 compare to the gtc pro? The cube bike seems to be an excellent choice and hoping I havent made the wrong one tbo.

tiswas-steve

Über Member
I was going to get either this bike (gtc pro, not the race version) or the scott cr1 comp. The cr1 is £100 more but I preferred the style of it and it has higher gearing. Havent got the bike yet but how would the cr1 compare to the gtc pro? The cube bike seems to be an excellent choice and hoping I havent made the wrong one tbo.

The difference I can see is that the Cube has a mixture of Ultegra and 105 components while the Scott is mainly 105, but I'm bound to be bias towards the Cube but IMHO if you leaning more towards the Scott go for it. I think it's perfectly natural to be unsure if you've got two bikes you like a lot. I was looking at the Cube GTC SL as well before I got the Race but I couldn't justify the extra money for the SL in terms of spec for what I'm using the bike for.
Bottom line follow your head and heart and enjoy whatever you decide on.

mhk1058

Regular

If you prefer the style and the gearing suits better go for it, both are great bikes. If I'm honest the only real reason I went for the Cube Race instead of the Pro was that I preferred blue over red!! It's not always about the head.

Moss

Must say that I've enjoyed reading this thread, it's been very interesting indeed! Would you mind me asking what, you think of the Focus Cayo in comparison to the Cube Agree? I quite like the look of both these bikes; and can get a Cayo demonstration model for about £880, What do you think the 2011, Cube Agree bikes will come down to ££ in the end of season sales? I'm 5ft.10in in height, could I get away with a 53cm frame in the Cube Agree? Was thinking of a 54cm in the Focus Cayo.

Thanks

M

Top Bottom