What age are people doing the higher miles.

How many people are riding 3000+ miles

• Age 16 to 25

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Age 26 to 35

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Age 36 to 45

Votes: 19 17.1%
  • Age 46 to 55

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • Age 56 to65

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • Age 66 to 75

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • Age 76+

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Older people tend to have more spare time so that will be one reason why some do a lot of mileage.

As a general point, the Highest Annual Mileage Record is not a young man's game.

The likes of Kurt Searvogel and Steve Abraham are past the first flush of youth, as, if I recall correctly, were some of the other record holders such as Tommy Godwin.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Older people tend to have more spare time so that will be one reason why some do a lot of mileage.

As a general point, the Highest Annual Mileage Record is not a young man's game.

The likes of Kurt Searvogel and Steve Abraham are past the first flush of youth, as, if I recall correctly, were some of the other record holders such as Tommy Godwin.

Tommy was 27 and the current record holder is in her 20's

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I am not sure how this poll tells you that.
I would not worry yourself about it.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm 64 and retired. My annual mileage has increased significantly in the two years since I retired. In 2018 I rode 6328 miles. I targetted 7500 but found even being retired it was a struggle to average 150/week. Factor in all the faffing around time before, during and after a ride and one needs to dedicate around 20 hours a week to riding. That is a lot. Miss 2-3 weeks for any reason and it becomes much harder to achieve.

July 2011 I had a seizure and lost my license for 12 months. In the period July 2011 - July 2012 l rode 8000+ miles, possibly 9000 as I had a 36 mile round trip by cycle and train commute. I was getting up at 5.15 and arriving home between 7.30-8.30pm. It was a total nightmare.

I'd suggest the three factors with the greatest influence on miles ridden are employment status, commuting and family situation.

3000 miles is "only" 60 miles a week. When I had three children under five the only way to do that was go out at 5.00am on a Saturday or Sunday. I ride with several people in that situation. My club puts on rides starting at 6.00am for that reason.

The poll IS interesting but I don't feel it tells us much.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I often manage 50+ miles a week but some weeks I maybe do 10.
I can't bike all the time sadly.

So I doubt I've ever done 3k in a yr.

gbb

Legendary Member
Derrick is obviously interested so my history was...
Started seriously cycling at around 42. Generally upped the mileage and I should think peaked around 50 to 55, doing around 6500 miles anually I think.
Then commuting stopped with a change of job and then health issues virtually stopped me In my tracks for 3 years so it's always just getting out there now, no intent to even get near the old days.
Commuting was the driver for me, it gives you the opportunity to ride every work day, just for starters so has a major impact on many people's mileage.
Many folk don't start serious or restart riding until slightly later in life (i suspect) so that affects the stats too.

Sixmile

Veteran
This year I move up a bracket, riding into the 36 - 45 range. The last few years my annual mileage seems fixed at 5,000. It seems to be the most miles I can ride whilst working full time and having a young family.

Top Bottom